oil cooler

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bevin

Reaction score
hey is it possible 2 run a oil cooler 2 my bike is doesnt have one now but its seen 2 get hot really quick i just wanted 2 kno if it would work

hmm you mean like put an oil cooler on a air cooled motor???

if it that u mean then im bout to do that too,, im jst waiting for the parts to be sent and if it works ill post up info

yep all you need is a oil pump comes with most oil coolers and that goes on the head and pipes connect to the pump and then you mount the cooler to the frame and connect the pipes to the cooler you can put oil cooler on most CHONDA bikes all you have to do is take off the cooling fin plate on the top right side of the head and put the pump in place of it and it should bolt strait to where the old plate was.

Awesome, i need a cooler on mine....Is it as easy as it sounds...?? How do you mount the cooler?

yer thats the main pump but the oil cooler has a head pump depends what type of engine you have like the yx 150s have it off the main pump it goes from the pump in the block to the oil cooler then back to the block then to the cylender then the head then back down to the block. but the 125s have a head pump that has to be put on when you use the cooler.

ill show you a pic of the pump in the head
140_ENGINE_AL-1.jpg

it has a pipe going to the to pipe mounts but thats where the cooler lines go.

ok, the pump is in the gear box.a lifan 140 and a yx la de da feeds oil from the crankcase, just under the cylinder.

everything thing else pumps the oil up around the bottom stud/cylinder bolt on the kickstart side.(honda posties, lifan, loncin, ducar etc)

the oil normally is directed straight from this bolt through the plate on the engine head and down through the centre of the cam shaft.

as picture above suggests^^^^^^^ this plate is modified with hose fittings to direct oil from the stud bolt, through the cooler first, and then into the camshaft.

all the modification that is needed is remove existing plate, and replace with one with hose fittings....once again, picture above^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is usually two m6 bolts with 8mm heads, and a long bolt through the camshaft, that has a 10mm head. the kit should come with a new gasket as well.
some kits use banjo bolts(picture above,^^^^ and its using two hex head bolts instead of 8mm heads) some use plain hose clamps... all a matter of how much you spend.... banjos are pricks if you need different length hoses, by the way...

i prefer the head feed set up, as the oil is heated up on its journey through the cylinder, and having the cooler after seems more effective. but wtf would i know:p

im running both types on my lifan 140:) just cus i can....

mounting the cooler itself, on the other hand, requires some fiddling around, making space by moving other parts around, then welding a bracket where needed to bolt the cooler to... where it has good airflow, usually just behind the forks(watch that it isnt so close it restricts steering and that the hoses will reach, plus the mudguard clearance) or be dodgy like me when i first got one and zip tie it to the handlebars:p<<<<temporary measure to test effectiveness:p

then theres a wide variety of actual coolers to choose from. some are useless. some arent. some are heavy, some arent....

so can u put one on a lifan 125cc?? just by swaping over the plates??

yes you can but you should go with the radiator style cooler works better then the full billet coolers they keep the heat in from being alloy. and the radiator style has core rods through the centre and cools more effectivly.

just swap the plates. and yer, go radiator style. billets are heavy and....dont work too well.

plates will fit just about anything:) in my(limited) experience....

Latest posts

Back