Oil

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono3079

Reaction score
I'm surprised a topic hasn't been made about this yet, or at least the search function didn't pick it up (don't worry computers never fail).

What oil is best for a 125? I just whacked in my uncle's car engine oil (out of the bottle, out of the bottle!), probably not the best of ideas. Is it okay, or is some miracle oil required?

the oil would probly be ok but when it comes too any bikes id always recommend too use good fluids. fully synthetic oil (i use motul) and 98 octane fuel. (some people riding 2 stroke's recon use 95 octane cos they claim 98 fowles the plugs but i never had any trouble in my 2 banga) and dont use stale fuel either, put it in ya car. (if its been in the gerry for much over a month its stale)

DON'T RUN SYNTHETIC!

OMG!! So many people are running synthetic and I have no idea why. In the manual is says MINERAL OIL. When you ask a mechanic, they say MINERAL OIL.

GOSH!!

Ok lets not confuse the guy by giving him bad advice now...

If you use the right grade of oil then there shouldn't be a prob e.g 10w-40SF but i wouldn't use a full synthetic oil as it's been known to cause clutch slippage.

I use Shell SX4 which is semi-fortified so basically semi-synthetic.

Now as for fuel i wouldn't really take his advice on this. Now i know i've herd a few people say high octane is good but seriously for the size of the motors and the number of cylinders high octane fuels can't properly atomize in these engines.

I would be using standard unleaded and do for a fact use it.

Hope this helps.

Only bad thing that will happen if you use synthetic is the clutch might slip, the world wont end.

Well i dunno Flarry his clutch might start slipping then it would go, then he'd be up for a replacement and it might be his X number of last dollars. Then he would be poor and couldn't eat and die.

This is a very long shot but i wouldn't totally rule it out LOL.

If its a very basic car mineral oil then you should be ok but if it's a high grade car engine oil then it may contain friction modifiers and this will make the clutch slip (NOT GOOD!!)(i wouldn't even run the bike with it in there)
I use Bel-Ray thumper oil it is specificly designed for single cylinder 4 strokes motor cycles its to do with the length of the polymers in the oil as most road bike oils have longer polymers that the narrow gears of the thumpers gearbox chop up and cause oil shear.The fact an oil is a synthetic or a semi synthetic is not the problem it's if the oil has friction modyfiers this is where the problems start.
As far as fuels go.well this is a bit of a funny subject,98 high octane fuel is desiged basicly for EFI cars (and why is a subject all it's own)But if you are running a high compression ratio in a bike and you have jetted for it as you should do then it good to run 98.Lower compresion bikes and we are talking 4strokes here don't need the 98 and probably will benifit very little to nothing from useing it,this is why they ussually in the manual state 91RON fuel.As the high ron fuels will run richer then an optimum mixture and not burn properly and it's just a waist basicly.Now a fuel that burns at the right mixture burns cleaner and produces more power as it gets a more complete burn remember were talking little bikes here not drag cars.
And 2strokes are a whole other world again but to keep it basic a stock PeeWee 50 runs better ,cleaner and even revs a little quicker on 91RON fuel than 98RON fuel cause it has a lower compression engine and a very basic carby oh and the oil mixture must be right too.
High performance 2strokes that are jetted for the high octane fuel are another keetle of fish.And yes some guys have experianced problems with high octane in some 2 strokes and the was a problem for a certain brand of fuel too that seemed real bad at it but it was basicly the first one to come out with the 98 so maybe thats why they got a bad name over it.
Personally I like BP Ultimate but my bike is high compression 450 and is jetted for it.So is our race bike but the other bike just runs on BP 91 as thats all it needs to run well.
Hope this helps
BIT

Last edited:
i say mineral or semi-synthetic and no to full synthetic 10w-45 is the best for these engines but you can use a slightly thicker oil it should be fine

as for fuel i use high octaine only cause i fill up my 20l fuel can with it for the yz's so theres no point getting another fuel can for the pitty so that fuel goes in the pitty too and no i dont use mixed fuel in the pitty and i cant find any problems with using high octaine if anything the bike likes it more then regular

FARRR.. speaking of fuel and oil that reminds me i need to get some fuel, 2stroke oil and 4stroke engine oil lol thanks jono for the thread no i wont forget to get it all tomorrow :)

As for the high octane, don't use it. Peter was using it the other day to see what would happen, and his performance wasn't any better, and it was backfiring like mad.

Latest posts

Back