on a budget

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t00l

Reaction score
keywords are in bold for the lazy people :)

Hey all, a few mates have been buying into atomik bikes just to ride around for fun, ive always been tempted to but after another group of friends bought into them a few years ago I have not been keen since. We are heading out new years camping and most are taking their bikes, so I have until then to hopefully find myself a deal. I'm south of perth, but i dont mind taking the trip up if anyone knows some good stores around.

I was just wondering whats the best deal I could pick up for around $1500-2000 max please keep in mind ill still need a helmet/goggles and oils, I already have gloves from mtb riding. I dont mind second hand but I dont want any shitty brands and or a thrashed bike, im looking for something that will hopefully last, and I will take care of it. Looking at getting a 125cc... 50's are a bit too small for me.
Not looking to do any big jumps on it but i know i will be tempted to take it over a few smaller jumps

I have been reading around into other posts, it seems most the better builds are around 3k which i'm not looking at paying, as the title says, I am on a budget!!

what do you guys recommend?

I dont mind doing a few upgrades either, dont really care about visual upgrades or noise, id rather keep the exhaust stock so i dont get into trouble i shouldn't be ;)

Last edited:
DHZ 125 pro. cheap, reliable, great bikes. under a grand from ebay delivered to your door.

thump i read your atomik 250 review the other day, quite thorough, just wondering what mods/upgrades you would recommend to the dhz if i got one

to the naked eye they all look as cheap as eachother pitpro/dhz/atomik/orion :|
assuming they are all Chinese? what really splits them apart?

also 125/140, same size bike just bigger motor?

look at a:
motovert
2nd hand pitster pro
terra-motor
genuine thumpstar
(there are more but i can't think atm)

you have the money to get your self a bargin look into those bikes before you think of eBay but you could get a CR85 which would beat any china bike

Hey Tool, yeah all the pitpro/DHZ's/Atomiks/Orions etc are all chinas... Going over the spec sheets there is a fair substantial difference in accessories and ancillaries when comparing the DHZ's and Pitpros to the Atomiks and Orions.
The Atomiks and Orions are definately for the budget conscious, but given the right initial set-up and maintenance, they will be as reliable as any other bike, car, boat etc...
As for the 125/140 question, yeah they're pretty much the same size in regards to the DHZ bikes. Both seem to run the twin-tube "monster" trellis frame, which makes them a midsize. I've got to of these frames on a couple of my minis, and can vouch for their strength.
If i was to recommend you a bike, based on your budget and what you are looking for, i would suggest the DHZ 140 Outlaw. For the extra $100 over the 125 Pro, you are getting a lot more in the way of bike. Going by pics on ebay, and the spec sheet, the 140 outlaw is very well appointed for it's price, and they are gaining a very good reputation as a strong reliable bike. The 140 Outlaw doesnt *look* like it needs a lot in the way of initial upgrades from new.
All of the basic upgrades that most people will do to a new bike, have already been done on the DHZ's. having not owned a Pitpro, i cant pass judgement on the quality of standard fitments, but given their reputation, i imagine they'd be similar to the DHZ's in appointments.

Basically if it came to upgrading the DHZ 125, there would be a few bits and pieces to do, but to upgrade the 140, you would be looking at upgrades more along the lines of "stage II upgrades"... check the link below to see what i mean..
http://www.miniriders.com.au/bike-s...ades-guidelines-stage-i-iii-2.html#post235751
All the usual things like big bore pipes, decent ignition systems, adjustable mid-range suspension etc etc, are standard fitment on the DHZ140 Outlaw.
If i was buying one myself, the only things i would upgrade from standard, would be to replace the carby with something a little more performance orientated than the 26mm Fakuni, and an Inner or Outer Rotor Kit, depending on preference. Oh and a DID or RK chain. Aside from that, they're a set-up, loctite, oil and go type of bike..
In case i havent made my point yet, go on ebay and search "DHZ'', and look up the 140 outlaw. Bugger it, here's the link for both the ebay listing, and the actual DHZ site.
NEW 2009 DHZ OUTLAW 140CC BIG BORE RACING THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Aug-09 09:49:47 AEST)
DHZ Mini Moto - DHZ OUTLAW 140
If you can speak to Ken from DHZ directly, he will be able to do you a pretty good deal, and more than likely land a 140 on your door for around $1100... The man is great to deal with, and his parts and service back up is pretty damn good compared to a lot of others selling cheap chinas.
Sorry for the long winded reply, but ask a question, get an answer. Just trying to cover all bases to assist in your choice!!
Hope it all helps mate. :)

Last edited:
thanks thump! it really means a lot :)
i was leaning more to the 140 after i seen the price difference on ebay, didn't get a chance to post back though!
+ rep to you for the detail too!!

I will need to give Ken a call once I get some money together :(
Bloody bills/loans getting in my way this month lol

Latest posts

Back