Pit bike performance improvements

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freak370

Reaction score
hey guys its me again lookin at a gtty 150 big wheel
but i have decided
that if i do get a pitbike
it will be in need of improvments
i already have some things covered
such as head port and polishing and shaving
a bore kit maybe
new gasket oversize
and may be a new exhaust
anything else u guys recomend
lay it on me i will know wat ur talking about so dont worry but getting too technical
and dont suggest nitrous for 90 bucks cuz i cant do that if i am increasing compression with a port and polish and bore kit
thanks again
freak

man there are like a million of the threads already. the usual gear cdi rotar kit.,... mehhh .look it up??

Hi Freak370,

I guess you just want to hot the engine up, but in my opinion that's about 25% of the fun. Firstly it has to not break down, then it has to handle ok, lastly you need more HP.

Some ideas for you in approx order of importance:

* Engine: Just start with a quality air filter, a magnetic oil drain plug, frequent oil changes, and good jetting. After you get your bike handling ok, then worry about more engine power from cams etc.

* Remove and re-assemble most parts. Nothing will be loctitied, and nothing will be greased properly either. Many bolts will rust or bend. Shock bolts typically have the thread inside the bearing surfaces. Sort out this stuff first.

* Check the spoke tensions when new and after the first 10 rides. They usually stretch a bit then after a while, they'll hold pretty well.

* Get a bike with Marzoch copy (China made) USD forks. Flush the fish oil out (twice) using 5wt fork oil. Then (assuming it a mid sized pit bike) add in 275 to 285ml of quality 7.5wt oil (eg. Motorex). These forks can work REALLY well for the price! Stock fork springs suit a 75 to 80kg med/fast rider. Note the 10+ fork oils are for conventional forks or perhaps some really basic design USD forks. Forget the thick fluid in real USD forks.

* Don't even consider dampers (on either end) without adjustable compression and rebound clickers. The chances of fixed valving being right is near zero. Obviously no Chinese, Taiwanese, or Marzocchi dampers come close to the performance possible from well setup Showa, KYB or Ohilins. This is due to both design and quality. So you have to be realistic in your expectations. The Taiwanese (eg. Fastace, DNM) and Chinese stuff (eg. zocch copies) have quality control limitations (machining etc), so the performance can vary a lot in the same part model. The Taiwan and China products work heaps better with quality suspension fluid in them. A fluid change in a shock can cost more than the shock, but (like in the forks) the ride quality will be more than twice as good, so your decision.

* Use a rear spring which suits your weight. The front and rear sag should be suited so your bike turns properly. Hard to explain but try commonsense. Unless you weigh 80 to 85+ kg you should not need a 1000 or more lbs/inch rear spring, assuming your shock has decent bottoming control.

* Make a basic mud flap thing to keep the stones off your nice rear shock shaft. See pitster's 09 bike for some clues. Or search my old threads for "mudflap".

* Get some decent tyres for your target terrain. It makes a big diff. If you can afford the extra $20, then get some Bridestones, Pirrellis etc, since they ARE way better. Get a rim lock installed in the rear wheel and the front too, if you will ride softer terrain with tyre pressure below 15. The China rims dent easy so beware tyre pressure below 14 on anything but soft terrain with no rocks.

* Make sure your brakes work. Most stock china brakes can work REALLY well on the small wheels IF you put good fresh fluid in the brakes, and use healthy clean brake pads, and your master cylinder pistons are adjusted correctly.

* Keep an eye on your stock china wheel, and swing arm bearings. Once they start to die, get some good Jap bearings in there.

* Get some good grips. The ProTaper "Diamond" grips (dual density) from DHZ are only $20 and they feel GREAT to me.

Last edited:
that's an awesome write on up what you should do to ya bike
other then the usual buy this BBK or that exhaust.

You're welcome BigM and londin. I needed a brain timeout. Been working on other stuff for a couple of months. Love thinking about dirt bikes.

I forgot to mention some other things:

* We all know the stock chains are often stretchy. My Lifan 150 has enough grunt for me, so I use an RK O-ring chain. It must zap a little rear wheel HP, but it NEVER stretches, and only put Inox spray oil on it to keep it rust free and shiny clean. No tacky lube on it, so when I ride in sand (I love riding my mini in soft dirt when the weather is not too hot) I can rip it up and chain+sprocket wear aint too bad.

* Gearing. It's a personal preference thing. I like to target 3rd gear for the majority of a track and try to avoid shifting. 1st is of course useless on these china engines (too low).

* Valves. You have a YX so I think you want 004 inlet and 005 exhaust. Not sure on that engine, but those figures are probably a lot better than most factory setups (too tight mostly).

* freak370, when you do put in a wilder cam, consider a bottom end cam. You end up with a much wider and usable torque spread. So for MX tracks, the bottom end cams work really good with these china wide ratio gear boxes. If you get your jetting right, you should be able on/off chop or snap open the throttle reasonably quick and your engine should just haul you out of any corner or hole with little or zero clutch fanning.

* A good cheap engine mod is the fuelstar TM-VC fuel conditioner. Just emery sand off the sharp edges and drop it in your fuel tank and enjoy crisper low rpm throttle response and protected valve seats. It'll help you get away with running slightly richer jetting (for good response and less engine heat). But nothing is a substitute for proper jetting.

Last edited:
ok cheers thats great
thanks that its not all stuff i need money for too ay
but im also worried bout being able to get parts n shit
for it
as a lot of these bikes dont have the proper sizes on the ad
but i will figure it out
basically all im gonna touch is the
oils
bolts
filters
rims