Postie bike with a Lifan 125?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Postie

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this weekends project, finally got the last of the parts I need before the big conversion.
One thing that might be bad... I read that post 84 had a 6v CDI system, 98 onwards had a 12v CDI... not sure how the 12v Lifan will go with the original electrics? 93 ct110 :confused: I think/hope it works lol. Ill keep you posted..

Attachments

• postie.jpg
    postie.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 254
Postie, Your going to need a 12V Coil | 12V Regulator | 12V Battery | Change the Globes to 12V | 12V flasher Can

Ive been looking into a conversion on my CT70 , I swaped my thumpstar's 125 motor into my CT70 for a big weekend coming up... it only took me 2 hrs to swap what i needed over from one bike to the other.

fort the CT70 fits the lifan no worries, the CT110 is a little different the holes and the footpegs

info is found on www.dratv.com on the conversion shoing step by step

cheers guys got the orginal motor out no worries, before i read johnnie5 link, and yes i need to make up the mounting brackets. bugger! Looks like it's going to be a longer weekend than i thought. lol
thanx again johnnie5 heaps of help!! will post the completed product when it's finished.

good to here, yes please keep us updated as i want to do the same thingonce i get my finger out of the other projects i have kicking around

It's alive!!

Well got it in on sunday morning with the home made brackets.
Got the Wiring done on monday, didn't need to change anything, all the lights for rwc work.. amazing. only thing i dont have is the neutral indicator (problem for later!!)
Made another dogey mounting bracket for the exhaust.
Couldn't use the carby that came with the lifan, too big!! used the orignal ct110. put the kick stasrt on and it's alive!! first kick!!
Now just have to go and swap the clutch cable i brought for one that actually fits, find/make/buy some foot pegs. and i can put the pushie back into retirement and ride the 15klm to work everyday on a real bike!!
oh and it's running rich nice fire ball out the exhaust today lol

Attachments

• Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 196
  • rear view rh side.JPG
    rear view rh side.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 213
  • Home made mounts.JPG
    Home made mounts.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 213
So the posties need a sort of cradle mount hey ? With the CT70 it just mounts up with the two case mounts and thats its.

Heres my CT70 with the thumpstars 125 in it
DCP_0518.JPG

Quick update!!
eichkay thanks for your pic good to see some people have something decent to contribute!! Rather than the usual crap!
Back to the meat of things took the postie out yesterday for the run in ( as per the link I got off a thread on here,). Nothing bad to report... yet
But the lifan doesn't rev out as much as i expected it too? I? expected the lifan to rev higher than the honda motor.
Question : Anyone know for sure how high (RPM) the lifan are supposed to rev?
Q: I think an aftermarket CDI unit would let it rev out?
Cheers in advance

Are you using the Honda CDI unit and electrics? I'm guessing it is something to do with the electrics, you probably need the ones that suit a Chinese Import Motor.

what throttle assembly did you use ?

what about the clutch lever , did you use a postie mount and lever or go with a new one dirtbike style ?

how about the pegs ?

hopefully in a few weeks will be doing the same with a 140cc with oil cooler :D

I used the standard throttle, carbi, inlet manifold, foot pegs and electrics.

I couldn't use the minkini carb(too big) (working on adapter) think that's the problem not electrics, but going to change the gearing too after I get the minikini in.

Bought a mini clutch lever and mount. ($13)and cable ($30) Saw the mount for it but spat the dummy, didn't want to wait!!

Made adapter plate from engine to foot pegs. (very rough will post completed version later, looking at rubber mounts to stop some vibration, annoying).

Hope that helps? Will it be registered?

Just another thought.... Going from a YZ400f to this may have given me too many expectations on expected power. lol

i would rather keep the CT110 motor in it and just big bore!

Did some1 say YZ400F.... i want to put one of those into a ESD chassis for a motard racer & crazy stunt machine

to postie: could be that you put the original postie carby back on - prolly not enough air gettin to the engine and cloggin it up a bit. that would be the first thing id look at.

yeah I thought that too, except the inlet of the carby for the postie is bigger (38mm pod filter)than the minikini (20mm I think)
I went for a ride tonight and played with the choke at different rpm. there was a marked improvement in performance with half choke through mid to high rpm, almost stalled when at idle.
So i'm guessing too much air to fuel ratio? from the pod filter or worn needle and seat = incomplete air/fuel mix?) or possibly not enough back pressure? Guess when I make the exhaust reducer I'll find out about the back pressure.

i would rather keep the CT110 motor in it and just big bore!

Yeah so would I! Have to wait till after xmas.
To put it in perpective I've paid around $300 for everything so far for the conversion. And I can still ride it around.
Now to go and put a big bore and the approipate bottom end through the honda I'd be looking at around $1000 I'm guessing.
Way around is I'm waiting for the bit's I need to come up on ebay or I win lotto...
And yes i agree jap will beat chinese any day, I can imagine what This bike is going to be like when it finally gets everything I've promised her(betty the beauty/bitch lol)

The original air intake has a lot of restriction and if it is not exactly as original the carb runs lean. I had one that I had trouble getting to run properly because the air cleaner element was missing and to prove to myself that the diagnosis was correct I wrapped a tee shirt around it, wala ran accelerated and idled like a dream, fitted new element and no more problems. One article I was reading referes to a restrictor in the air intake line. I bet if you hook up the original air intake it will boogie. Read section 6 on the postie bike home page, they say that if you remove the original air cleaner/supply system you need to drill the main jet out to 0.85mm, I would use a number drill for this. If you want to use anything but the original you have to change the carb, den

Last edited:
[I have my postie pretty much sussed . was unsure of the wiring thanks 4 the pic excellent just need to know where the green wire coming out the coil goes to?
Cheers

Latest posts

Back