preparing for the asphalut

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damonator

Reaction score
just some tips i found on pitbikeclub.co.uk and thought that some people could get some use out of it it would be good

1) Make some Nylon to cover the undersides of the footrests to stop it digging in the tarmac surface. (old knee sliders can but cut up for this)

2) Lockwire the oil filler cap.

3) Lockwire the sump bolt.

4) Tighten the handlbars as tight as is humanly possible, especially the support mid bar. These like to twist and collapse soon as you land awkward and are a pig to straighten during a race.

5) Purchase a new chain, the old one tends to strech like elastic. A set of better pads for the rear will be handy as the stock ones last about a day.

6) Fit some kind of catch tank for the 2 carb overflow pipes. Very careful here, if the pipes get jammed or blocked the engine will not rev at all. I used an acid bottle which the battery acid came in but left a breather hole too.

7) The suspension, front and rear is total rubbish. Strip the rear shock down and bleed it properly with some good shock fluid.
The shock comes with camel p155 in it and no gas at all. Cut the top side off a 2ltr pop bottle and totally submerge the shock. With the valve removed, pump the shock slowly till there is no air at all coming out. You will feel when it is free from air. Reseal the shock while submerged then pump it with 80-100lbs of air. You will be happy with the difference.
I changed the fluid in the front forks. They come with Tiger beer in them so replace it with some 20 weight suspension fluid.

8) Fit handguards.

9) Fit a sump catch tray. Most people cut the bottom off a 5 litre petrol can and bolt or tie wrap it to under the sump guard plate

1) you can do that or alloy pegs will pass scrutineering and are lighter.
2) for racing, yes, for anything else not neccessary
3) for racing, yes, for anything else not neccessary
4) should be done with any bike
5) strech the first one then when its had it get a new one. If you are using rear brake you are going too slow, engine braking is more than enough for the rear, as the front will stand the bike on its nose and do 95% of the braking, IF not pull more front brake on or adjsut your suspension to allow more brake.
6) for racing, yes, for anything else not neccessary, 50mL spirit bottles work great, so do RC petrol tanks
7) yes stock non adjustables from china are rubbish, dump the fork oil and replace it with decent for oil and begin a log book to record different oil weights and volums until you get the desired feel.
The rear, just invest in an adjustable comp and rebound. But if your not racing just work with what you have until you know what you want.
8) yeah, maybe seen people break wrists with them on when they highside and can't let go in time. I don't run them, get billet levers and problem solved, another tip tho 'Don't stack' or the cost of bark busters, over a handful of cheap china levers, the cost you will have to work out for yourself.
9) thats a British thing and will make your bike look gay! just put the cranck breather hose through a catch can much like the carb catch can. But if your not racing, again, I woudln't bother.

Latest posts

Back