problem starting

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityshot

Reaction score
hey
iv run about 1&1/2 tanks through my new 08 xr140 and im still have trouble geting to start in takes about 5 or 6 trys to get it going some times the choke helps, some times it dosent any ideas?

does it take 6 kicks with the choke on? or do you mean when it is off.

It will be easily fixed. Turn up your idle screw a bit so it revs a little faster and get your valve clearances checked.

kick it harder, give it more juice.. they need abit of a squirt to get going when there cold =)

find tdc as snitchy says, and it should start the very first kick (i never use choke its a waist of time)

TDC top dead center

that way she'll start every time

if your still haveing problems could be a valve clearance thing
or a tweak with the carb

but id doupt it ..TDC ..Top Dead Center get the full stroke from your kick and she'll start to easy

my bike doesn't start first kick, takes a few kicks to start it up, but that's probably 'cos im lazy and don't kick it hard enough lol:D

do u open the throttle when u kick it

hard to say if it's you or the bike with out seeing you
i got a vid on how i start my bike on put file
it's at the end of the vid it may help it may not i dunno but least i get another click on my vid and move up the list hehehe

here it is IRK Install SnItChY Tech Tip - Putfile.com

if you play with the throttle when starting (which you shouldnt) i could understand why it would flood! id pull the carby down and check to see if there is anything holding the float down or anything in there causing problems...

I had a bit of trouble when i got mine.
I found that if you use the choke with no throttle until she sounds about to start then turn off choke and she fires straight away.you should not have to give it any juice while kicking it, if you do it will flood everytime.if you do flood it just hold the throttle half open(once and dont pump it every time you try to kick it) and keep kicking til she fires.
But you could still have a small tuning issue

hmm i think the spark plug might be stuffed,
GoosE#69 do u have to do that every time u stall it?

haha, if its running and you have stalled it all it needs is another kick or two and it should be up and running again

check valve clearances, usually out..

hmm i think the spark plug might be stuffed,
GoosE#69 do u have to do that every time u stall it?

NAH, once shes warmed up she pretty much starts first kick everytime!
Only first starts of the day after shes been sitting in shed all week are like that,otherwise shes good but can flood easy if you overuse the throttle(when starting!)

Also when i got mine the plug was stuffed straight out of the crate but Brian at maylands changed that when he built it up and no probs since.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back