Project: Pitpro 140 Motard

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeby

Reaction score
This is Dad's 2006 Pitpro 140 as it stood in mid-2007; everything is the way it came from the factory other than the 12” front wheel and Chinese-made nylon tires. The rear shock has a serious lack of damping, the tyres give very little feedback, the muffler is choking the motor and the brakes are very weak. So now that we've established what the bike was like, let's move on to the modifications.
IMG_0500.jpg

Adding a lot of preload and ensuring that there was as much air in the shock's gas reservoir did help somewhat, however it simply wasn't up to the job and the same went for the tires. We sourced a second hand Fastace BS-35 and upgraded to Bridgestone B03/B02 rubber. In addition, we purchased some handguards because we were getting tired of replacing crash damaged levers. The air filter had also been torn up from sliding down the road so often and so a new Unifilter was fitted and the jetting was altered slightly. The pegs had also seen better days and so a stronger peg mount was fitted along with beefier pegs. Finally, there was no need for a bash plate so that was removed. You can see the changes in the photo below (except for the rear shock).
100_1864.JPG

For the next 10-12 months progress was minimal due to lack of money being spent on the bike and a series of accidents in which Dad tore his calf muscle and broke an arm. As a result, he took several weeks off work and many months away from the track. Recently, he made the decision to return to track riding and I convinced him to upgrade his ride, particularly the suspension.
I originally intended to simply rebuild the forks using heavier oil but it was later agreed upon that we would change to full DNM suspension to match my bike and thus be on a closer level in terms of machinery between Dad's bike and mine. The first hurdle we ran into was the difference in fork diameter. The standard Chinese USD forks were 42mm at the top triple clamp and 48mm at the bottom clamp whereas the DNM M-200 forks are 48mm top and bottom. To make matters worse, both the 48mm triple clamp sets I had available were 5mm narrower meaning the 110/90 Bridgestone would no longer fit between the fork legs.
100_2613.JPG

You can trim back the rubber a little, but we decided to change the tires for two reasons. Firstly, the 120/70 rear was too wide for the 2.15” rim we had on the back, and secondly, Dad was the only one left running on scooter tires front and rear at the track; it was time for race rubber! Sava, Innova, Dunlop, Vee Rubber and Bridgestone are the main manufacturers of 12” race tires. Unfortunately, Bridgestone don't seem to make their famous BT601 anymore and I couldn't get a hold of the Savas or Innovas. That left me with a choice between Dunlop TT92 and Vee Rubber VRM266 slicks. After reading pages and pages of feedback and reports comparing the two I concluded that the Vee Rubber offers better grip but comes apart much quicker while the Dunlops were also a very good tire but was more focussed on durability. It seems to be a matter of opinion as to which is actually the better tire; both were priced similarly and a few guys at the track were already running Dunlop so we thought we'd try something new.

But back to the forks for a moment. The steering stem was about a centimetre too long. Fortunately, wheel bearing dust caps were just the right size and two of them bridged the gap. The other problem was the stock brake caliper mounting points were just a millimetre or two too narrow. I could either grind the bolt holes on the forks out a little or upgrade the caliper on my bike and donate my stock one to Dad. Guess which I went for? I also donated my handlebars to Dad as his were rather bent up and also had a fair bit of flex to them. I then began to focus on the engine while I waited for additional parts in the mail.
100_2620.JPG

In the two years that we've owned the Pitpro the valve clearances had never been checked. I did a bit of research on how to do it then went out and bought a set of feeler gauges. Little while later the valves were done and the engine ran much smoother (it previously had a bit of a problem idling) and was much more responsive. Here's hoping the two years of neglect hadn't caused any damage.
I had changed the carburettor on my bike to a Mikuni VM24 and so I donated my Mikuni “25mm” to Dad to replace his “30mm”. Initially I forgot to change the gaskets over and so it was blocking a considerable amount of flow but that was later rectified. Out of curiousity I also pulled off the intake manifold and was surprised to find a rather large obstruction. The manifold was replaced immediately. Now that the intake had been improved, I put on a less restrictive muffler. I suppose it was basically an 'aftermarket slip-on' hehe.

Thanks for reading so far, more to come in the next few days!

i was thinkin of ya when i packed the nighy lmfao
good ohs bro
glad to c there going to a good home

That is really good news! You two have been busy and i'm looking forward to the battle on the track! How did you go with the Bremo front brakes? Have you checked your valve clearance on your bike to? If so, any difference?

Well I just saved myself $40,000 and built my own Harley Davidson it seems.
100_2621.JPG

Front brakes aren't fitted, doesn't really matter because they'd be useless on HD, oil cooler is falling off, no rear suspension just like a classic hard tail, straight through slash cut pipe and the new bar clamps put the bars so high that they're like ape hangers :rolleyes:

Spacing the front wheel so that the brake caliper would match and the fork legs wouldn't rub was a test in patience, actually so was the rear wheel. But hey, they're on now and don't those slicks look spiffy? :cool:

After dinner I'll be bleeding the front brake system and putting on a larger disc rotor. I'll also be fitting up the Brembo 4-pot caliper to my bike.

Londin: I haven't touched the valves on mine yet because I'll be fitting the cam and springs tomorrow.

I'm not really upgrading here, just playing catch up :p No need for you guys to raise the bar again! Or are you two too scared we might be faster on the same machinery? ;)

Here's the Brembo caliper, I want a mounting plate so badly :(
100_2625.JPG

I also bled the brakes on both bikes and they feel veeeery different at the lever. I hope I haven't messed up! When the skies clear I'll roll them down the driveway and test them out. If all goes to plan tomorrow the rear shock will arrive, the new camshaft and valve springs will be fitted and the brake caliper mounting plate shall be fabricated and that'll be the end of this project, for now!

Looking forward to see all the mods in action on Saturday! I tried to fit my new swingarm in the weekend....didn't fit :mad: The new levers did however I need to compare clutch release! Mine seems like it's not engaging/releasing 100%, tried to adjust the cable but no luck! Would HD clutch springs help or do we already ride with them Squeeby?
Squeeby where did you get your cam etc from? Have you seen this: Lifan 140cc Performance Cylinder Head :D

By the way; Really cool your dad are back on the horse and loving it so much that he's upgrading his bike :)

Damn! I was really hoping it would fit because it would have looked fantastic. Not sure about the clutch springs, I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're on the track because it's hard to feel exactly how it will be when you're not riding.

I picked up the cam off eBay, it's an Akunar A1 bottom end cam. The listing didn't say which one it was and I was hoping for a mid range cam but I'll be interested to see how this goes. Personally wouldn't spend that much on a performance head, it's money better spent on brakes for Archerfield I reckon. I better you're as eager as I am to see how the Brembos hold up!

keep me updated on the brembo's, and for the hundreth time where are u getting the fabrication work done at??????

Update on Brembos: Still not fitted. Went down to the engineering shop today but was told they're too busy for another week or two. They sent me on my way with a piece of alloy and told me I should be able to do it myself :(

Did have the new springs fitted though, the head and everything is back on but now I've worried myself. I can't remember if the guy who fitted the springs put the new camshaft in or left it for me to do :| Also I don't even know if it starts but I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

And with regards to the Pitpro, the shock arrived and so it's rolling around now. It has more compression and rebound adjustments than mine... I swear I'm not jealous. Still haven't perfected the front wheel spacing; needs to go to the right maybe 0.5-1mm as it's juuuuuuuust skimming the left fork leg. Worse still, the front brake caliper mounting plate is rubbing on the disc rotor mounting bolts, arrrgh! Will move the wheel over and see if that fixes it but I think the mounting plate needs to get acquainted with Mr. Grinder. Finally, it looks like I'll need to get a 210mm rotor for the front. Here's a photo of where it's at tonight:
100_2630.JPG

P.S There's been an ugly ass cockroach running around for the last two nights while I've been working, grrr.

Almost there mate ...a bit of a mission but looking good .... and ya know the Brembos are gunna more than hold up once you finally get em fitted ... I think ya lap times will be droppin soon.

Ahh finally, Dad's bike is ready for the track...mostly :p I've respaced the wheel and the tire is now skimming the right fork but it's not sticking or anything so meh. The rotor mounting bolts still touch the caliper plate but the front wheel rolls so I figure it can wear into it over time and save me the hassle of getting the grinder out and annoying the neighbours. The brakes aren't fantastic and I can see it's only using half the brake pad but the 208mm rotor that Londin has should help.

However, my bike is in trouble. I have no idea whether I'll get the Brembo on in time for the track and worse still the engine is making a clacking noise and after running for about 30 seconds you can smell something burning (oil?) and smoke starts to come off the exhaust pipe. I want to go over the exhaust valve clearance to double check it's not too tight as I suspect it might be (although doesn't a loud valve mean it's loose?) but I have to wait so the engine is stone cold and try running it in the morning. What's the chances of the valve actually hitting the piston?

The thing is it's incredible responsive and if it weren't for the symptoms described above I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong. I haven't actually tried to ride it but it sure seems like it has improved.

Well I checked the exhaust valve clearance last night and it was loose after all, not sure how I botched that one so badly. But I was rushing to get this made before I had to get on to other things that I completely forgot to run the engine and see how it is, d'oh!
100_2631.JPG

I'm taking it to the engineering shop in the morning to get some threads tapped into it (hopefully). Otherwise I'll have to temporarily borrow Londin's front brake system as he's out of action this weekend.

And Jovian, the shop's number is 5578 1085 and they are located at 16B Brendon Dr, Nerang.

So I got up nice and early and headed down to the Rage Engineering and they tapped four threads into the mounting plate for me for $15. Buuuut I didn't quite get the fork ones right and it was just a tiny bit out of alignment so I got a drill and bored out one of the holes on the fork bottom so that the bolt could move up a little. Anyway, it was all in vain for two reasons: the caliper was out of alignment with the disc and was starting to bend it when the brakes were applied, thus I need to bring out the angle grinder again and reallign it with some washers. And secondly... my engine wasn't running properly :(

I could hear something hitting so I turned it off and said meh, let's just go and see how the Pitpro goes. Londin and I anxiously watched as Dad tentatively completed his first few laps. I was really worried because he was going very slow and the bike looked a little unsettled. However, he did pick up speed and by the end of the session he was cruising along at a reasonable pace. I'd asked him to do a plug chop at the end of the straight and so I walked over to meet him and take the bike back while he got his riding gear off. You can't imagine how relieved and happy I was that the hours of work I'd put in during the week had paid off; Dad was stoked with the bike :D

From the plug chop we could see that the jetting was rather lean so we adjusted that over the next two sessions and Dad continued to gain speed. Londin and I figured he might be doing 25-26second laps as we were doing 24 last time out. So it was a bit of a wake up call when the stopwatch reported mid-24s laps :p Then the kickstarter gear broke and I was shit scared that the broken pieces would stuff something and send Dad into another spectacular crash that would put him out of minimotards for good. To my surprise he decided to ride anyway and we bump started it. It seemed fine and so I did have one session on the bike and found it was a great overall improvement. Personally I would have prefered more compression damping and less preload on the rear shock but we're really looking forward to when we're all back on the track together.

And it looks like I was very lucky with my engine. The intake valve was hitting the piston but only just. There's a tiny mark on each of them but the valve still holds a water tight seal and so should be alright. The cam timing was because the IRK doesn't have a TDC mark on it and I just rough guessed it. This time I put a mark where the piston first hits TDC and another when it starts to go back down and then a cut a mark into the stator/flywheel/whatevere it's called inbetween the two. I noticed that the cam sprocket mark that needs to line up with the one on the head was out so I moved it one tooth in the timing chain. It wasn't perfect and is still not exactly right with the one on the flywheel but it's close. More importantly, the engine runs now and the valves aren't hitting so I'm hoping to take it for a test ride soon.

FINALLY, both the left hand side forks on our bikes are having issues with leaking oil so will have to get that done before the weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back