Prox 140cc starting problems!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonkone

Reaction score
Hey all need some help asap !

Ive had my bike for about 3 weeks , (atomik prox 140) done about 3 hours ridding on it.. recently changed the oil over to havoline 20w50.. think this was a bad idea coz its to thick ,and the bike hasnt had enough run in time.. BUt in those 3 hours of ridding the bike was fine rode well started every first or second kick.. untill i stopped using it for about a week..

I tried kicking it .. wouldnt start untill the 25th kick and once its started and i try give it some revs it slur's out , and dies if i hold the throttle down for to long.. but even if i just let it idle so it can warm up and so i can ride the dam thing it just dies when it hits about 1 min and half of warm up time..

How do i fix?? is this a issue with the oil im using or the jets not cleaned or something ? any info would be appreaciated

drop the oil and put 15/40 motorcycle oil in it, see if that helps

gonna ask a stupid question here but you have checked the choke havn't you?
no point in chasing everything to find a problem that isn't there......
don't forget to check the fuel tap and that is has fuel aswel

Doesn't sound like an oil problem, though it is strange that it only started having trouble since the oil change.
Sounds more like a fuel or air problem.

yeah, i dont think oil would cause that much of a trouble. i spoke to a guy who sells chiniese minis and he reckons that 20w 50 is the way to go. What sort of carby do you have? my proX 250 has a "jap performance" knock off. it should have 3 settings up for starting,once it starts move it to the middle then after 1-2 mins move it to the bottom. i havent had trouble with it so far im running 10w40 semi synthetic.

yeh i wouldnt say it had anything to do with your oil, i would start with the carbie and the fuel situation... strip your carbie down and give it a good clean! :)

Master Spoon: Yes i understand how the choke works , and the fuel switch..
When it does get started which takes for ever. I have the choke all the way on and the fuel switch on lol.

nafe: It's just a standard one that comes with the atomik prox havent made any modifications. I dont know the name of it though, but its what ever the bike comes with (standard) is what i have. It has got those 3 settings
[ A: all the way up choke fully on.] [B in the midle for warm starts.] [And c for all the way off for ridding.]

darb110: To clean the carby how do i go about this.. im totally clueless as to what it looks like n all and have no experiance with motors.. Can a job like this be done by someone in my shoes? Is there any videos how to clean out the carby or any steb by step piks?

OH yes and fuel is runnign through the bike ty for the help

Last edited:
it sounds like the carby need a clean

step 1 : take the carby of the manifold

step 2 : take the air filter off

step 3 : take the throttle cable out

step 4 : start unscrewing the carby, should be about 5 bolts on the top.

step 5 : then if you can give it a blow out with an air compressor or if you dont have a compressor just clean it out with mineral turps.

step 6 : put everthing back together and your good to go.

it also could be your fuel/air mixture
so turn it all he way in , the 2 and a half turns back out
then just fine tune it from there

hope that helps

i dnt no much about fourstrokes but this happened with my orion chucked new spark plug in and ran great again.

Hey guys yer i tried the spark plug test by holding it next to the motor and kicking the bike. and it gave me a shock so i guess thats working lol.. But with the carby i have no idea about mechaniks so im not gona attempt to strip the bike apart.. but if u think this is the problem then im gona get my uncle to have a look he knows his shit when it comes to bikes.

Is there any videos on how to do it ? lol if it looks easy i might give it a try

Latest posts

Back