PW50 carb (?) problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temppp

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help with this old PW50 I'm trying to get running properly again.

I had most of the bike pulled apart to replace both crank seals so maybe I've put something back incorrectly.

After I warm it up it will idle in the "start" position with no problem but as soon as I switch to "run" it seems like it's running at full throttle or close to it. If I move it back to "start" it will settle down straight away and do the same thing when I go back to "run".

Not sure if it's related or not but there is also some fuel leaking from the carburettor. Not enough to have a constant drip but I notice it when I wipe my finger around it or leave it for an extended time.

Before I replaced the crank seals it used to rev by itself but it was much more erratic than this. I'm not sure but I don't remember the start/run position having any impact on it. The excessive smoke has cleared up now too, so I think both seals are OK.

IMG.JPG

I think the slide (?) is installed correctly? Turning the handlebars side to side doesn't pull it up at all.

The float needle has a very faint ring around it about 1/3 of the way down from the tip. You can barely see it in person, surprised it somewhat shows up in this photo. The rubber feels quite hard, is that how it should be?

IMG_0791.JPG

Should that be replaced? If this was letting in excess fuel, could that explain the fuel leaking or is that something else? Also, would the extra fuel cause the bike to rev by itself or would it more likely bog it down?

The only other part in the carb that I can see has damage is this following piece. I can't find it on any parts diagrams so I don't think it's possible to order a new one.

IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG

It goes through the hole at the top in that last photo down to the opening at the bottom/side of the bowl. That is the "before" photo, it was the only one I had showing that.

Is the fuel leaking and the bike revving itself possibly related or more likely to be separate issues?

Any ideas for what I should be looking at?

I had been looking at buying a new float needle and bowl gasket but for the same price I can get one of those Miniky copy carbs off ebay. Some people have issues with them but I would be spending the same amount on two parts that I don't even know whether they will fix my problems.

Sorry for the long post, appreciate any ideas people have.

Thanks

The starting position retards the spark so its pretty well impossible to over rev the bike in this position, in saying that could it be possible that whoever own it previously stuffed up the carb setting pretty badly?

For example are you pre mixing the fuel? And if so is the oil inlet bloked off? Have you pulled the whole carb down and cleaned it with carb cleaner? ie: removed air/fuel and idle screws and reset to factory settings? Also what position is the slide needle set to?

Theses little bikes are pretty well bullet proof apart from their carbs, a compression test will soon tell of any other issues you may have.

Dont waste your money on the miniky carbys.
Issues i have with the PW ive got here are
Genuine PW cables are not compatible,

the genuine choke cable inner isnt long enough and lifts the plunger up so the choke is always on, i cut the adjuster on the carb down a bit to fix that.

Also the throttle cables inner is to long and there is a **** load of slack, this i have concluded is a mix of cheap ebay junk cables and the crap carb are the cause of that. ill be fitting a genuine yamaha cable which should sort that out.

I tested it out yesterday and it idled in "run" with no issues. I had previously removed every part of the carb to clean it out so I probably had it adjusted wrong. I'm thinking that it was probably just the idle screw position being wrong. I should have sat on the bike rather than leaving it on it's stand to test it...

Bad news is that it was hard to start and was quite smokey again. I'm pretty sure there was minimal smoke while I was having the idle issue.

I installed the brand new NGK spark plug. Will try some new (pre mix) fuel and see what happens.

I will try a new bowl gasket before I think about replacing the carb. Are the ebay cables not a good fit on the original Mikuni carb?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back