PW50 Help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temppp

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to get a pw50 that's been sitting for roughly 8 years up and running. I have been reading a lot on forums and watching youtube videos as I am a complete beginner so I only have a basic idea of what to do but I just need to check a few things...

Here is a before and after photo of the bowl. I sprayed it with carby cleaner and let it soak for a little bit then tipped it out and repeated a few times. Is this good to go?

IMG_0484.JPGIMG_0496.JPG

I don't know what this next part is called but I think either I or the previous owner have caused some damage!

IMG_0487.JPGIMG_0492.JPG

I assume this should not be bent? Is it even supposed to come out? Everything still goes back together so should it be OK? I would replace it but I can't find it anywhere online.

Can someone please confirm that the little hole should face in towards the centre as it does in the above photo? I didn't take note of the position when I removed it.

The "before" photo of the bowl up above is how it was when I opened it up, no fuel left in there. However when I removed the gasket there was liquid (I assume old fuel...) in the red circled area in the following picture:

IMG_0504.JPG

Is that OK? I think the gasket is fine, I can't see any damage on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Had a similar issue with a py50, Chinese copy of the pw50. Put a fuel filter in the fuel line!!!!! There will be crap i. The fuel tank that will come through and block the pilot jet, the brass item you have pictured. It should have a very small hole down the centre of it which makes the bike idle. Clean it out with a single strand of wire from the cable used on bike brakes, throttle cable ect. The orientation of it doesn't matter but it should be tight when pushed back into the alloy carb housing. Try get as much of the red/brown gunk from the bowl, scratch it off if you have to. And also, put a fuel filter in before the carb!!!!

Thanks for the info rumble.

Took me a while to get back to it.

I did a little bit more cleaning and then put it back together. There is a small filter that's inside the pet**** which was full of crap, I cleaned all that out.

Put some mower fuel I had leftover in there today just to try it and it started after about 10 attempts.

First problem is the excessive smoke. Thick, white smoke. While it idles it blows about as much smoke as you should see but it gets crazy when you rev it and clouds up. There is also a small amount of oil leaking from the plastic cover (with Yamaha on it) on the left hand side, where there should be no oil. From what I have read a blown right side oil seal could cause excessive smoke. Is it possible both the seals are gone in mine? Possibly burning some oil causing smoke and also letting some get over to the left side?

Second problem, also used to happen but might not have been as bad, is that at times the bike would start to rev by itself. Could that possibly be caused by the above problem or something else?

It died on me a couple times too while idle. Had to put the choke back on at times to keep it running.

There is also a little ringing/rattle sort of noise that sounds like it's coming from something in the top end, that was there when I bought it. I think the previous owner told me he had just had new rings put in, or possibly it needed new ones... can't remember. Seems common on the pw50s with some people saying it caused no problems and others saying that a new top end stopped the noise. Similar to this noise: [video=youtube;4GElO7auVcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GElO7auVcY[/video]

I think before I stopped using it I had topped up (probably over filled too) the transmission oil with normal 2stroke oil, which I found out later was obviously wrong. It was dripping a bit of oil for a while but I think it still ran fine at first. After a few rides it started to blow way too much smoke and that's when I let it sit for years.

If the crank seals need replacing I'm not going to be able to do that by myself and I imagine the labour would cost more than it's worth. Might just have to get rid of it "as is"...

Latest posts

Back