PW50 spark problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temppp

Reaction score
I've had other posts on here about this bike but the basic story is that the bike ran (with other issues) and then after installing a new complete top end I can't get it to produce proper spark.

I have rested the spark plug on the head and have seen what I would describe as a bright blue spark but then there will be nothing after it. I've also held a screwdriver in the spark plug cap and have felt a shock but I don't think it's ever happened more than twice (if that...) before I gave up waiting for the next spark.

I have tested the continuity of the off/run/start switch and it's correct for each setting.

Primary coil resistance: 0.32-0.48Ω
Mine likes to sit at 2.1Ω which is a bit high even if you allow for the leads. I'm only using a cheap multimeter so it might not be that accurate at low readings?

Secondary coil resistance: 5.68-8.52kΩ
This was right around 6kΩ, good.

Pick up coil resistance: 18-22Ω
20.3Ω, good

Charging coil resistance: 297-363Ω
Nothing

Lighting coil resistance: 0.57-0.69Ω
Nothing

These are from a different year model manual but I don't think they changed at all.

I also tried testing on each end of the spark plug cap but I can't get any reading for that.

Any idea why I can't get a reading for 2 of the 3 coils? Did I somehow blow both of them or am I just doing something wrong?

Is there anything else I can do or do I need to start looking for a stator to buy?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The wiring must have changed over the years or perhaps mine is stuffed.

(manual) Pick up coil: White/Red - Black : 18-22Ω
(mine) same wires: 20.3Ω

(manual) Charging coil: Black/Red - Black : 297-363Ω
(mine) same wires: nothing. Black/Red - White : 301Ω

(manual) Lighting coil: White - Black : 0.57-0.69Ω
(mine) nothing. Can't find this reading on any combination of the wires.

This bike is a 1992 model but I think they kept this stator/wire setup from 1990-2000. I have the black/red wire by itself and the rest all go to the same connector.

The manual is for newer models but still has the same colour wires.

Can anyone make sense of this?

Thought I would update this for anyone who might come across it when having their own problems. I believe the only problem with my bike was the spark plug cap not keeping a solid connection with the spark plug. Didn't do anything with the stator so the above numbers must be acceptable to get it running. I've had other people give me their readings and a lot of them don't match up so the values/wires must vary over the years. Cheers

Latest posts

Back