PW80 Bar-B-Q

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cann0nf0der

Reaction score
Hi All

Before I have a white and blue bonfire I thought I would post my frustrations here to see if anyone has some advice I can use. I have a mechanical background and have rebuilt half a dozen bikes and do all my own servicing, but this thing is giving me the sh#ts!

PHASE 1: It is a PIG to start (can take 15-20mins), however once it is going and get it warmed up it can be ridden and runs ok (still a bit rough). As you kick it over it fires for about half a second then stops, just enough to keep you interested. After you have be kicking it over a dozen or so times the only way I can get it to start is give it the slightest bit of throttle when it runs for that half second. Problem is this is very hard to get right and usually takes quite a few tries, on the odd occasion you can catch it.

PHASE 2: Once going you have to hold the throttle at 1/2 to 3/4 otherwise it just dies. After about 2 to 3 secs from running it tries to die completely and you have to wack the throttle wide open to catch it from stopping. It needs approx 4-5mins warm up before it can be ridden without stalling when you put it in gear.

I have replaced most of the electricals and checked the carby inside and out, it has a brand new bottom end and crank seals, plenty of spark, plug is wet, I have isolated and tested the kill switch.

PW80 2005
  • Brand new bottom end and crankcase seals
  • New Stator coil
  • New Coil
  • New Plug
  • Excellent compression
  • Pulled the carby down 5 times and checked everything.

ANY advice I would greatly appreciate.

Regards
Gav

yer new piston & rings , rod , bearings & seals & she will go sweet, if you have spark i wouldnt bother changing the electrical stuff

this is a tricky one !
how far does the spark jump ? 8mm and full blue?
flywheel located and tight?
is the exhaust blocked ?

Spark is great and very strong, had the flywheel off when I did the stator and had double checked it. I gave the exhaust a clean out when I repainted it but I may take another look at it.

One thing I didn't mention was when I got the bike (4 mths ago) it did start and run Ok. Was a little hard to start but nothing like it is now. The plug it had in it was a NGK BP7HS and I have replaced it with a BP6HS as it is a warmer plug and specd' in the manual. Both plugs should work providing they match your fuel/air mix and in theory the BP6HS should be better for cold starting. Have tried the 7 back in it with no success

Last edited:
Well bugger me it turns out the manual is just like the wife always has an opinion but isn't always right :) Manual says BP6HS but when I got the bike it had a BP7HS in it. I changed that out for the manual spec (BP6HS) when I gave it a service. However when the issue appeared I tried the 7 back in the bike but it gave the same issue. So today just for kicks I went and bought a new BP7HS put it in and the thing runs like a top second kick! Bit of a re-tune and it purrrs like it should and goes better than it has ever gone.

I feel like I have earned a beer, thanks everyone for your input

Regards
Gav

Latest posts

Back