quad runner problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3NNINGS_024

Reaction score
hi all, a mate gave me an old Suzuki quad runner (250 or 300?) to have a look at. he said that it turns over about 4 times then locks solid. when i had a look at it i tried starting it with the pull starter but the wouldn't budge. until i was leaning off the side of the quad pulling on it it finally turned over about 4 turns then locked solid. i did this again and it turned over about 6 times then locked up. i took out the spark plug when its locked up and the piston is at the top of its stroke.

he said it might be a timing issue or there is something going on in the bottom end. he wants me to try and fix it without throwing any money at it. it has already had about 3g spent on a top and bottom end rebuild not all that long ago......anyways what do u spanner spinners think is the problem? any helpful advice would be great;)

cheers, Brad.

timing issue sounds pretty good. if it was doing it every 2nd turn and wasnt budging at all.

where does the pullstart operate exactly? straight to crank, or through the box?

broken teeth on clutch gears etc, maybe. stay in mesh, stay in mesh, skip.crunch, no go...

drain the oil...check for lil gremlins :eek:

turn over WITHOUT the plug...maynt be correct one? ie, sticks into cylinder too far...

decomp mechanism?

timing issue sounds pretty good. if it was doing it every 2nd turn and wasnt budging at all.

where does the pullstart operate exactly? straight to crank, or through the box?

broken teeth on clutch gears etc, maybe. stay in mesh, stay in mesh, skip.crunch, no go...

drain the oil...check for lil gremlins :eek:

turn over WITHOUT the plug...maynt be correct one? ie, sticks into cylinder too far...

decomp mechanism?

thanks for the help headsmess, well i took the rocker cover off when it was locked up and the cam lobes are facing back down into the engine. which obviously means the valves are closed so it cant be timing. also when i go it to turn over, i yanked the pull-starter and it actually fired about 3 times before locking solid. i noticed when i pulled it slowly it made a clunk noise in the bottom end and locked up. so it might have been gears not meshing or gears that have come off as u said???:confused:

Latest posts

Back