Quickest engine that'll suit electrics

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fifty1wheel

Reaction score
Been a while since i've posted here, have been popping in for a look around everynow and then.

Question is (after way too much searching)

What is the quickest horizontal engine in which a regulator and battery can be connected for a headlight, etc.

I'm not interested in the exotics, just your run of the mill Lifans, Jailings YX's, etc.
Am looking at building up a postie for a run around. Although the missus thinks i'm a little old for this, sometimes Taking the 4x4 for a quick trip to the shops seems excessive. Also would like to be able to the odd 40km trip to another family members place.
Mounting is not a problem, i can make anything fit any where without a trouble. The question is the suitability of Electrics to the motor.

I do like my old 150 pitty (YX motor) but their internals make running a reg difficult, true?

J

reckon a lifan 150 would be reasonable, can run lights reg etc, plus mods for them are easily done, easy to come by. only issue would be hand building the pipe to suit.

i have a JD2 draw through bender, so the exhaust also isn't a problem. Cheers for your reply, I was hoping the Lifan was a suitable engine.

you have a pipe bender? ......you sir, are Tacky and I Hate you...
I want a pipe bender... :(

the benders aren't that expensive. Its when you want aa selection of dies that it soon ads up. Building my 4x4 its more than payed for itself in time saving

hmm... how much? i want basically two dies... one to bend mini pipes, another to bend 2 1/2'' exhaust pipe..

problem is, its a press bender, even with all its fanciness, its bend quality will never near a draw through system. (and it'd cost at least 10x the price)

The JD2 units, Although simple in design will produce a far better quality bend on pipe and tube.

Thump, check out JD Squared USA Products I have the model 3 but may be upgrading to the 32 in a few months. The dies range from around $300 to $700 each. They are an extremely solid unit for what they are and shit over any press bender on the market. I've used mine for countless rollcages, exoskeletons, competition tube bars and rock sliders (4x4 equipment) and can't fault them.

awesome, cheers gentlemen, i shall has a looksee...
REALLY want to start making my own pipes.... now if i can just convince the missus to get me a mig for my burfday... :D

i have a 140yx that didnt have the additional lighting wires out the stator, but yeah, im running lights spiced off the loom into a reg and they run fine.

you have a pipe bender? ......you sir, are Tacky and I Hate you...
I want a pipe bender... :(

i sell pipe benders at work, we only stock the one tho, but have a decent range available from supplier. not quite as good as whats been listed here but still works........he he ssshhhh i borrow it from time to time:p

i should cut n paste this reply, im always saying it:mad:

the engines wont fit into a postie frame without some major engine mount reworking..... just letting you know :)

the engines wont fit into a postie frame without some major engine mount reworking..... just letting you know :)

make it part of your signature... lol
while you are it, put "#95 main jet, and "how to mod your bike" links.. :D

^^^^^^^ yep that's what I did, got sick of searching for the links all the time, no-one see's it anyway and they still ask.

Mr

Mounting is not a problem, i can make anything fit any where without a trouble. The question is the suitability of Electrics to the motor.

J

read original post
enough said ;)

either yx 150 daytona style or lifan 150 will work
I've got my yx150 powering lights, straight from the stator, no reg or battery, bright enough for me :)

read original post
enough said ;)

lol, ok, ok, owned...all my fault for speed reading and only getting "postie" out of it...:eek:

electrics.... anything with the green, red/black, blue white wires, AS WELL AS two yellows(or 1 yellow, 1 white) for the lighting circuits...

personally, id steer clear of the yx150's...too many reports of them having premature deaths....

lifan 140:) much better option, and come with a high current(important with 35watt headlights, most cant keep up) lighting circuit, standard....:)

now, if mounting is no problem....hows about trying to stuff something ridiculous in? like a 250? thatll be quick:p might want to do a brake upgrade with that one.... i wanna see pics!!!!!!!

Last edited:
may do a build thread on it to help others who want to do a conversion on one.

not sure on where to put it in here though?

thought about a vertical engine but can't be bothered, i wanna collect the parts, cut some parts, build a cradle and install within a week of starting. (joy of plasma!) I want to try and keep it slightly stealthy, probably custom matt black exhaust & muffler to replicate the original utilising the crome trim but actually flow.

am leaning towards the 150 lifan, will have to keep an eye out. Will be getting the postie early october as i've got a bit of travelling to do between now and then.

well i've ordered a bunch of goodies from DHZ. Their service so far has been fantastic.

Now just need to wait to get a Postie to go under the knife when i'm back from my work travells.

Have a 150 lifan, peg set, 28omm OKO (that'll be the 3rd, love em!) and filter. Only parts left to collect are the exhaust tubing and bits to build the muffler and possibly a rotor and stator to better suit a bike with lighting.

Or is the rotor/stator combo output enough from a 1P56YMJ
Who wants to see the buildup? and where should i put it?

Latest posts

Back