rear brake jamming - help please!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedonzella

Reaction score
Today i took my back wheel off and one of the brake pads fell out. I put it back in but i'm not sure if i did it right. Anyway, now when i press my rear brake it just locks on and will not release, the piston just stays out. I've tried greasing the piston and re-bleeding the brake but it still does it. I'm a bit stumped and getting a bit frustrated.

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Cheers

try using a screwdriver to pry your pistons back in and see how that goes, If you cant pry them with a screwdriver take off the caliper and use a socket and a vice/G clamp etc etc to squash them back in.

yeah i can pry them open again but the next time i use the brake they just stick again

what do you mean stick?, once you press down on the brake lever and then take ya foot off it can you spin the back wheel?.....do you have the correct amount of brake fluid in the resivoir, are you positive you have bleed them correctly?

when i release the brake pedal the back wheel is very hard to spin. I'm pretty sure I bled them correctly as i've done it before. How much fluid should there be? After it jammed i left it for about 5 minutes and then it was fine again so it must be releasing very slowly.

there should be an eye glass on the resivoir bleed and fill to the glass indicates full, something isn't adding up here maybe someone else will share their thoughts?

brake pad round the right way?

did you wash it in anything befor putting it back in?

who needs back brakes anyways?

brake pad round the right way?

did you wash it in anything befor putting it back in?

who needs back brakes anyways?

people who can ride FAST need back brakes bulldog... lol... ever tried to brake slide into a corner using your front stopper? lol...

This is a weird one... cant say i've experienced calipers locking up, and you've mentioned you stripped and greased your caliper and pistons...
How old is the brake fluid? or i should say, did you flush the standard crap out of the brake lines when you got the bike, and replaced it with quality DOT 4 stuff?
Does seem rather odd, and i'm wondering if the problem is in the master cylinder, and not the caliper....
might pay to strip the thing down, and if possible, flush the entire brake system and replace fluid with quality fluid...
but yeah, slow bleed down of the brakes.... odd..

i might flush the whole system out and start again, sounds like a good idea thanks. I'd really like to get the thing working properly as I love the rear brake for grass track and stuff.

where abouts in tassie you from mate? Sounds as tho you have assembled something incorrectly maybe

i'm from riverside in launceston. I have a feeling i might have done something like that

how old is the setup you got, may just be full of dirt and mud maybe a disassemble and clean is all it needs

A few months old I spose. What would you reccommend i clean all the parts with? would petrol be ok?

yeah fuel or kero will suffice... just make sure you grease everything that moves, with the exception of the pads obviously, when you re-assemble. :)

get some CRC brakeclean from supercheap or your closest hardware store

ok i took it all apart, cleaned everything thoroughly, put it all back together and re bled with fresh dot 4 fluid and i've got the same problem, not as bad but its still there. I'm out of ideas. How much would it cost for a new master cylinder and caliper roughly?

Latest posts

Back