Riding & NSW Rego for Z50

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC125

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im looking at purchasing & restoring a Z50.

I live in NSW and have the following questions/concerns:

- Z50s can be registered so long as they are complied and have a compliance plate?

- Do you need a NSW Motorcycle Licence or can you ride them on the road with you Car Licence?

Thanks for the Heads up guys, im getting excited but want to no all the legalities prior to commencing the project.

Any other pointers or concerns regarding riding and registering a Z50 in NSW would be great.

z50's pre 1976 do not need to have a compliance plate as long as they have all the requirements for rego eg. lights, horn and speedo.

Some states are now registering these as "bikes" which means you need a bike licence!

If you go to the inspection with a Manual Clutch setup, than theyll register it as a "Bike"

If you get a pre 76 bike, than yes most states will still rego it,

Youll have to get the bike inspected, each state is different as to how strict they are, but at a min youll need headlight/blinkers/horn etc etc.

itll need to be 49cc to pass as a moped (car licence)

Cheers

Thanks Guys,

so at this time in NSW if i was to get a pre 76 Model with No compliance and leave it as a 49cc to register i could ride it with my Car Licence and not need to get a Motorbike Licence as long as the Bike was road worthy etc etc...

Latest posts

Back