Running in?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New guy here... Any specific reason why avoiding using synthetic from the get go? All the advisors I've spoken to said to start immediately with synthetic... What's the reasoning or are they just drunk old men? I just assembled my 2013 tdr pro... I've heard plenty about these bikes, will see how it all goes down the next few days...

It's a bit of a mixed bag that one, alot of people say that the synthetic burns out your (standard) clutch much quicker, however there are some that say it makes absolutely no difference. I run mineral only oil in mine and it does seem to more common to do so. But each to thier own in this case.

It's a bit of a mixed bag that one, alot of people say that the synthetic burns out your (standard) clutch much quicker, however there are some that say it makes absolutely no difference. I run mineral only oil in mine and it does seem to more common to do so. But each to thier own in this case.

That's why you go specific bike oil that's semi synthetic and has clutch additives. Never burnt a clutch out in 10 years. ;)

Castrol Power GPS 1 FTW!!!!

Apparently its the clutch rubbers over time that the synthetic affects. I even used royal purple(full synthetic, when I was rich) and it kept engine temp lower and would not boil from extreme hot working temperatures.

Sweet, cheers guys, feeling a bit more comfortable now... I'll follow the trend, next oil change ill switch to mineral for the hell of it... Rather safe than $350 sorry hahaha

Castrol 4t mineral oil is a great allround oil as it has a higher temperature rating, its a 15w-50 as opposed to the normal 10w-40, and is tried and tested by most miniriders but thats just my 2 cents dude.

Hi KnoxJager23 i have used Castrol 4T mineral oil for the last 3 years on 5 bikes i have owned and never had a problem with it. And like Mick said above most of the guys on here use it.

i have been running lucas semi syn 10w-40 for wet clutches its great stuff its the best of both worlds

ive run royal purple, full ester motul, castrol gps 1 all full synthetic oils and never with any probs

i don't run in anything, just take out the china Oil replace it with good & ride it!!!!!! thats all you need to do all this other stuff is totaly unnessary.... i did'nt run in my 2004 CRF50 & she is sweet as a bird, all i do is let them idel for 5 - 10 mins then off ya go..

we did'nt even run in the 2008 YZ250 just rode it
Yep agreed i just put in good oil and ride it how i still do to this day

As for oil i use Maxima premium 4 10w40 its great stuff ... i change it every 3 hours or after every hard track day

Spot on boys, and running a new bike in the faster way has its rewards, the engine always seems to go harder than others that where babies. Same with everything I own, get it and ride it and give it hell in between.

Use the oil it comes with for 18 months the swap it with some ba xr8 engine oil. Thats what i did about 12 months ago, ill change it again in 6 months. On the other hand my old crf450 race bike got oil change every 4 hours or 2 rides

i always let mine idle to warm up (around 5mins).... kick it over, put my gloves on, finish my beer, kiss the baby & miss's, talk to the dogs then off ya go :D

:) I do that in almost the same order, finish my beer kiss my dogs n wave to the miss's! And I'm not even goin riding?

The std China oil can be either molasses or water hess, you be talking bout a Jap mini I think cause they would come with good run in oil. But 18 months dude she would be blacker than the ace of spades?? Good old Ford oil, I use std 20w-50 car oil in my 110 mini Jeep and she's loves it and treats me good.

I did post a pic on here somewere of the old oil. Actually wasnt to black.

Latest posts

Back