running in?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmanmark

Reaction score
at the risk of sounding stupid what does running in actully do and how long to u have to run in a bike and whats the do`s and dont of running in?( ie jumps?full speed? changing oil?) as i am about to get a pitster pro and want to treat it good

thanks alot i might not reply for a day or to cuz this new server is stuffed as more then 3/4 of us no

When I run in my bike I run it in hard,

I had a pitbike and ran it in soft and it got hard to start even with the valves checked and I did not notice a difference in power after the run in period.

On my CRF50 I just rode normaly (meaning hard) and I have noticed a difference in power.

so are u jumping or just riding fast with over revs? explane what u do not just say i run it in hard as i dont no what u mean by that

ride it have fun but don't rev it to the limiter, and make sure you give every gear a bit of a go. do this for 30 mins - 1 hour and then do an oil change (use a semi synthetic oil). after that give it four hours of hard riding and like i said before make sure you give every gear a good go.
if you want to jump it whilst your running it in it's up to you it wont do any harm to your engine.
p.s when i say hard riding that doesn't mean do huge jumps and just thrash it around, i'm refering to you revs so in the first 30 mins - 1 hour keep the revs down but in four hours rev the shit out of it.

Last edited:
Dont rev it hard but keep load on the engine, with long revs and use engine braking to slow down, but thats not all, read break in secrets or whatever.

ok thanks i will have to ride on my drive way then lol as my track i could only just get to 4th on a 125 (and i am am guessy a 150 is gonna be a far bit faster) and stay steady for a sec or 2. but will easyly coast in 4th on my drive way thanks again

I think you now have plenty of info on how to run in your engine. Run in means properly wearing all the metal on metal parts inside engine so they will work better together for longer and under high loads. Riding with medium/high engine loads (thru the drive chain) is ok. Not ok are things like:
*Sustained high revs with whatever load.
*Going for too long on the run-in oil batch.
*Reckless gear shifting.
*Running for too long at the same rpm speed.
At least some effort at a run-in is important on China engines because these engines have wide error tolerances in parts specs/sizes.

I have had a magnetic oil drain plug in my Lifan 140 since almost new, and some people might be horrified to see how much metal particles it captures. The little 4mm magnet tip comes out looking like a 10 to 12mm grey pea-ball. Even after about 6 oil drains it still keeps catching so much "stuff". The magnet has captured a couple of starter cog teeth (damn it), but generally it catches a lot of fine metal particles which come from all over the place. Interesting that after more usage my gear shifting has improved greatly with more use. My point is that these little chinese engines are sometimes asked to operate under a lot of stress for what they are.

Last edited:
ok thanks alot everyone all your info has been very helpful but now i am scared i am gonna stuff my pitster as soon as i buy it trying to run it in right lol
last question so run in for about 2 tanks of petrol and change the oil alot?
and what do u guys do with your oil when u take it out? chuck it?

well I pour mine on top of my lawn clippings in the greenwaste bin. Dont know whether thats the right thing to do but better than tipping it down the drain.

Get a old 20l oil drum and keep it in the shed. Fill it up with your used oil and get it recycled when full. The world has enough polution and oil is scarce so it should be recycled where ever possible.

last question so run in for about 2 tanks of petrol and change the oil alot? and what do u guys do with your oil when u take it out? chuck it?

"2 tanks". No way. That's about 4 hrs which is far too long on the first batch of oil. Dump the transport "oil" immediately (never start up on it). Dump the first batch of run-in oil after about 1 hr of careful riding. Then ride it a bit harder (same deal but rev it a bit more), and dump again after 3 hrs. Then you will be good for 6 to 10 hr drain intervals (depends on hard hard you flog it and how much you care). Don't buy expensive oil. Buy shell rimula-X diesel oil. $60 for 10L. As good or better than the expensive bike synthetics. eg. I use Rimula-X in my KX450F and after 6 hrs of hard riding I drain the oil, and the magnet (same neo-magnet as in my Lifan) tip comes out looking practically clean! That engine pumps out over 50HP and is worth over $5000 to replace. It is good oil.

Where to put the old stuff: I recycle like cass38a. For small amounts, Ingleburn's idea is the best I've heard since I've seen the mulch heaps at the tip full of vege and mineral materials, and a tiny bit of oil wont hurt. But recycle is best. My local servo lets takes mine for free.

i didnt mean 2 tanks of petrol then change oil
i said run in for 2 tanks of petrol AND change the oild alot (change the oild alot within those 2 tanks of petrol

Latest posts

Back