Safety Gear...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pitst3r X4

Reaction score
Ok. Like the title says, Safety Gear. I made this for people who are new to bikes etc, and don't know what to wear/use when you go riding.

I know almost everyone knows what to wear but I couldn't find any other posts which were on this topic (If there is one, well Tough T!tt!es)

1. Helmet- Obviously need one.
M2R Have a good range of helmets which start from like $100 to $900, and are all up to Australian Standards (Better Be...)

2. Goggles- If you are Riding with Friends or in a dusty place which is inevitable, you are 99.9% likely to get hit by a stone or something which will HURT, so that's why Goggles were Invented. They stretch around your helmet so it won't be uncomfortable.

Almost Every brand Make goggles Eg. Fox, Six Six One, Zac Speed, Scott, Fly yada yada yada

3. Gloves- Same as Goggles, If a stick hits your hands you're gonna feel it. they can stop dust and crap getting in between your sweaty fingers and won't irritate the hell out of you when you're riding. Some gloves have little rubber strips up the finger part which will provide more grip to the Grips pretty much. lol

Fox Have a glove line called "Bomber" I have a pair and they have the rubber grips up the finger part and hard plastic knuckle protectors which will absorb a bit of force in a crash.

4. Armour- There are different types of armour, you can get the full upper body armour which protects all of your arms, forearms, elbows, spine, chest, and gut.
there is a different kind called a Roost Protector, which protects your upper arm, chest, gut and spine. It's not as Protective as the full upper body one but it does the job.

Six Six One Makes the full upper Body Armour and Fox makes the Roost Protector. There are other brands as well.

5. Neck Brace- This Goes under your helmet and will protect your neck in a crash. (Kinda Stops whiplash)

I Don't really know much about neck braces but i know a brand called Leatt Brace Makes them.

6. Knee Guards- If you are wearing shorts and have a stack, you will most Likely have cuts and grazes up your leg after the wreck so it would be a good idea to wear Knee Guards. they protect your knee cap and go all the way down to your Shin.

Fox, Thor, Fly and some others make them

7. Boots- Now, I would think wearing thongs on a dirt bike is a freakin' stupid idea , so invest in a pear of durable Boots. I wear Steel Cap boots but you can get proper MX boots or just a normal pair of sneakers but won't provide as much protection.

Alpine Stars have a wide range of MX boots like the Tech 10 boot (Most expensive boot I've ever seen)

8. Elbow Pads- You will not need these if you have full upper body armour but if you just want to bash around, you can wear elbow pads which will protect you to a certain extent.

Fly, Answer and Six Six One Make these.

That's Pretty Much all I can think of now but if anyone knows of any other types of safety gear, just reply:)

Ok i can give backup to pist3r X4.

yesterday (tuesday the 30th) i was having the last ride of the day at Fort Lytton mx, as it was closing down yesterday. the last lap on the slowest corner, i jumped a rut and had a bit od a stack, and the bars smashed my hand, i got up and took my glove off straight away, and there was a massive lump on my left hand knukles, i knew i hadnt broken anything cuz i vould move it, but there was the 2cm high lump on my hand that went up my hand and onto my knuckles. its all ok now, we think i might have busted a blood vessell or sumthing, but if i hadnt been wearing gloves it would have been like broken fingers, knuckles and hand bones. so wearing gloves save me from lots of hurties.

next case was a friend was riding a moto with thongs on, he didnt crash buyt guess what happened- his big toe was ripper off. he had to undergo months of rehab learing to walk again, cuz ur big to balances you.

and my final case, was the race over the weekend, i was lucky enough to be at sum 1 house where they had tv, and they said that that track had the worst roost out of the tracks, and on the last lap, the race for the lead, i think it was ryan dungee pinned it out of a turn and a big rock hit Villipoto in the goggle area, and he stopped for a bit to recover, it hit him that hard, his scotts goggles didnt break, but he would have had a very souverily rearranged face if he hadnt

body armour.i use the full body protector, and has saved me heaps, but one standout was when i broke my collarbone, i came down on my shoulder hard and brok it pretty badly, but if i hadnt been wearing it, i would have had serious damge to my shoulder and a much more badly broken collarbone

finally, one that pist3r missed, is safety pantsi used to wear boardies and trekking brrots, and i was just riding, probably not even 4 km/ph standing up, and a stick jumped out and got my legwhich mad me fall off, and i was pinned under the bike, i went to try to get up and i burnt my leg badly, it was close to third degree burn, and now i have a bif pink scar on my leg

ohh, by the was great thread, can i ask a mod to sticky this. good idea pist3r

Latest posts

Back