SDB Thumpstar .... any problems?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WR450FGreg

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thumpstar newbie here......

We recently bought a 125cc SDB Thumpstar for our 11 year old son.

(I've had 35 years of motorcycle riding/racing, I reluctantly agreed to buy one, being a long time Japanese devotee!)

Has anyone had any experience with these particular machines?
Anything to look out for?
(The bike hasn't arrived yet, due in next Tuesday.)

Any input greatly appreciated.

.... and YES I have tried to do a search! Nothing happens when I click either of the two "search" links available!! I'm always logged in and have tried 5 or 6 times now. I give up!

Greg

Last edited:
You should locktite all bolts and getting a decent chain for it is a good idea as the stock ones stretch and snap quiet easily.

change the oil to a decent quality non synthetic oil

yeah mate my brother in law has one and basically what 2freeq andthump said are right on the money. He hasnt had no probs with it goin or anything just little parts falling off due to no locktite and his chain comes off a bit. If it comes with a alloy back brake lever, check if its actually a 2 piece lever cause the toe piece on his came off about second ride and was a real pain with no back brakes. I'm not sure if it has a bolt or splitpin but make sure you check it out

thanx for that i_thump i probably should of added the rest of that and not told half a story haha

Thanks guys!

This is EXACTLY the sort of information I was after.
Sounds like they aren't too bad a bike then?

Greg

Sounds like they aren't too bad a bike then?

For an 11yo to learn to ride on and to learn how to maintain and look after a bike it will be fine. Just do a pre ride check to make sure all the bolts are tight because on some china bikes bolts tend to come loose which is why the Locktite comes in handy ;)

Is this the bike you bought him with the Lifan motor?

125cc THUMPSTAR MOTORBIKE 125 DIRT BIKE MOTOR PIT A BLU - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-Jan-09 18:00:00 AEDST)

If so, I would also recommend getting a set of decent tyres because those tyres dont take any more than riding over a twig to get a puncture. So it will be a good idea to get a spare set including tubes otherwise your riding day could be cut very short due to a flat tyre and the little bloke wont be happy :( . You would be looking at about $70 for a decent set of tyres and about $10 a tube but it is well worth it and will save you from having to repair punctures all the time.

Last edited:
Is this the bike you bought him with the Lifan motor?
Yes, apparently it has the Lifan motor..... Is that good or bad?
(That eBay link you provided is the bike we bought.)

Thanks for the tip on the tyres.
Can you buy heavy duty tubes in these sizes?

(You guys are all great by the way! Thanks again for the feedback, I am pleasantly surprised!)

Greg

Last edited:
The Lifan is the best choice of motor in my opinion and yes you can buy heavy duty tubes either online or from your local bike shop usually.

Hey Greg

I'm thinking about buying the same SDB 125 bike for my 11 yr old daughter and I was wondering how your bike went. Did you have any problems with the bike. Did you buy it on ebay - any probs with the purchase? and finally will this bike be too fast for my daughter that has never riden before?
:confused:

I wouldnt say it'll be to fast for her cause she'll probably be ripping up the lawn on it in no time but have you considered that it is a full manual bike with a clutch lever? I only say that cause you say she hasnt ridden before. Mind you it doesnt take much for them to learn basic clutch use. My bro in law still has his and the motor's great just the tyres are bad for punctures cause they are really thin walled so run them at about 30psi to stop pinching. Also the chain stretches really easily and comes off while riding, but he is about 80kg and flogging it.

Latest posts

Back