Sealing a crack

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter16

Reaction score
After comming back from a motorcross track i found the my bike was leaking oil, i sourced the leak and it is coming from a small crack (see pic) Im about 95% sure.

In the picture its in the middle at the top on a slight angle, not sure what the part is called:confused:

I put blu tac over the crack and it stopped leaking so this confirmed by theory, any way my question is, how could i seal it besides welding?

Thanks
Peter

ellasick011-1.jpg

blu tac was only to test weather the crack was the problem or not.
Not a permanent cure!!!

so use muffler putty/cement u can get from supercheap auto :cool:

find devon magsteel it is a putty that you kneed up in your hand and it takes bout 5 mins to harden

i putty my mate cr250 crank case up one day and she still there

Yeah the metal putty works great, but make sure its VERY clean and completely oil free, scuff the area up with some grit paper first to help it bond,

Muffler putty is too brittle and fakey when it sets IMO, just use the putty!

and get a bash plate save it happening again

Ive been looking, but its hard to find one for an xr70.

Ill try the muffler putty today, just because I find some lying around, and if that doesn't work, ill go for the metal ones you suggested.

Alum metal putty (most brands) is your answer. They are usually epoxy glues with metal stuff in it. Actually the real answer is you will need to lay the bike over so the oil inside flows away, then clean the oil off the outside with some metho or brake cleaner etc. Then putty up the hole. If you try to seal it with the oil pushing through then you are wasting you time. I think muffler putty could fall off a bit too soon.

Latest posts

Back