Second Hand or New KX85?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quarkz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't have much experience with 2 stroke engines. All my experience is with sports bikes. I'm looking to get a KX85 big wheel but I'm unsure if I should buy brand new or second hand. Unfortunately this is the only bike I fit on (I'm 5"2) that's decent so I won't need to upgrade in the future. Hence I will have the bike for a long ass time. When it comes to these particular bikes if you're planning on keeping it for a long time is it more advantageous to buy new or second hand?

Brand new means I'll be able to break the engine in properly, keep maintenance up to date and I'll know the history of the bike. Second hand means the bike could have been raced, maintained badly and could have bad components that may need replacing sooner rather than later. Of course the down side of brand new is the high price and the upside of second hand is the low price.

For reference in my area I can get a 09 brand new for around $5500. I have found a few 06 second hand bikes around the $2500 - $3000 mark. I know it depends on the particular bike but you can't always believe what people tell you (It hasn't been raced, it won't let you down, never ridden hard etc). So if it was you would you buy 2nd hand or new?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Kylie

well if its your first dirtbike and your seeing if you like then it would be cheaper to get a second hand to see if you like...

if you have the moneynd money aint a problem go ahead and get brand new as you have stated your going to know the whole history of it, you will have warranty on it too if something decides to break not that it probly will seeing as your looking at a jap bike.

Have you considered other bikes such as a TTR125 or smaller 4 stroke bikes or are you looking for a 2 stroke motocross bike?

well if its your first dirtbike and your seeing if you like then it would be cheaper to get a second hand to see if you like...

if you have the moneynd money aint a problem go ahead and get brand new as you have stated your going to know the whole history of it, you will have warranty on it too if something decides to break not that it probly will seeing as your looking at a jap bike.

Have you considered other bikes such as a TTR125 or smaller 4 stroke bikes or are you looking for a 2 stroke motocross bike?

It's not my first dirtbike but it will be my first 2 stroke. I'm upgrading to bigger bike as I've recently moved out west and the pitbikes we've got aren't really suited to the tracks here (Both 140cc Lifan engined)

I've pretty much got my mind set on the Kawasaki (I've got 5 of them sitting in the garage now!) so in their line up this is the best one suited to my needs. It also fits my size perfectly.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Latest posts

Back