Semi-Synthetic motorcycle oil in my 140cc pitpro

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It reckons only use non synthetic, would it matter if I used this 10w-40 oil? Shell brand.

I have used semi synthetic oil in all my bikes for the last 10 years without issue.

It's actually better in a lot of ways.

I have used semi synthetic oil in all my bikes for the last 10 years without issue.

It's actually better in a lot of ways.

how so? i have been using penrite mineral oil and never had any issues with my mini's..... only used semi in my road bikes as i know it helps with the clutch plates to grab..

how so? i have been using penrite mineral oil and never had any issues with my mini's..... only used semi in my road bikes as i know it helps with the clutch plates to grab..

I also use the semi synthetic in the trans as well as the one I use has clutch additives (Castrol Power GPS).

I'm not saying mineral isn't any good just that would mean for me buying 2 sets of oil as I definitely wouldn't run it in my big bike.

I also believe the synthetic handles heat a lot better and hot minibikes usually = disaster.

hhhm interesting... always good to see another point of view..

I was always got told to use mineral oil in the midsize and 50 but just was too tight to buy 2 different oils. lol.

10 years later still haven't had any oil related problems.

Hell Hillz uses car oil in his 50!! haha

Car oil is a no-no because it contains friction modifiers (makes it slippy)
Good for gears, bad for wet clutches. Cars don't run wet clutches
Yes it will work fine but it will wear the clutch out significantly faster as it's likely to slip at high speeds or when dumping the clutch

I've also seen mineral oil recommended on this forum a lot... why? mineral oil is crap, it breaks down very fast and runs hot. On some bikes it'll cause mega-crap gear changes contributing to bent shift forks or worn gears. Unless you have an oil leak - in which case patch it properly anyway, don't cover it up - run a semi-synthetic. It's far better for everything in the engine, clutch included
Only time you run mineral oil is when breaking in, then dump it and switch to semi-synthetic

Latest posts

Back