Setting Cam timing

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR_JOSH

Reaction score
I recently pulled my head of my Ducar to up compression and do some porting, how ever when I pulled it off I knoocked the cam gear off the chain and lost all position of where to put it back. I don't really see any marks on the cog or chain so I was just wondering if there is actually any.

Other than that I will just have to put the botom end on top dead on ignition and set the cam to off the rock and go tooth by tooth till it runs.

Cheers for any help

damnnnnn. i dont know how to resolve this, thats really unfortunate but dont be too concerned, tomorrow someone will jump on and definatly give you a hand bro. hope all goes well, keep us posted.

Timing mark on flywheel ligned up with case notch at TDC and then cam sprocket mark at 9 o'clock position.

yeh,
bro did his 110cc , all u need to do it get the cam sprocket attacked to the cam and wind the cam to the top dead center on the top of the head somewhere. wind it to top dead center or TDC then take the chain of the cam sprocket.
then put the flywheel to tdc and put the chain back on .

All Set !

andy600rr is right, you should have a little dot on your cam sprocket. This must line up at 9'oclock with a notch in the head whilst the flywheel timing mark is lined up with its TDC mark.

First though, In order to get slack in the cam chain to get it back on you'll have to release the cam tensioner bolt to release the oil pressure in the tensioner. It is the bolt near the sump plug which is coming out of the bottom of the case at 45 degrees roughly. It will have a spring behind it. All you have to do is let a little oil out then do it back up. But do not over tighten as this bolt will strip very easily. Once the motor is started the chain will tension again under the oil pressure.

Got it sussed I just made an educated guess, didn't have to take anything but the head off, and it started first kick which I though was pretty lucky.

Got it sussed I just made an educated guess, didn't have to take anything but the head off, and it started first kick which I though was pretty lucky.

Mate, just be sure you got it right. Dont want to bend a valve!

I machined the head right down to the valves to up the compression so when I first put it back together I turned it over by hand just to make sure nothing hit where it shouldn't.

I took it for a bit of a strap yesterday and it got a flat tire after about 5 mins but it did seem to pull up the first big hill in 2nd alot easier than it normally does.

just a quick one. Did the cam chain tensioner take up enough of the slack? or you didnt shave that much off?

I machined the head right down to the valves to up the compression ......... QUOTE]

Exactly how much shaving did this have to be? No problems running pump fuel with the increased compression?

That's why you are supose to white out the cam gear & the chain before you start.

yeah. when i put my bigbore in, i marked the sprocket and chain with a black permanent marker. made it a hell of alot easier to get the timing right.

I took maybe 1mm off the head not exactly sure I just kept cutting till it nicked the valve, and figured that was enough. It doesn't seem to be pinking and doesn't feel like it either thats on standard unleaded too, might chuck some PULP in and see how it reacts. I reckon I might just give it a cam grind on my bench grinder next give it some more lift, should be good for a laugh it's only a china bike after all.

The plan was to just leave the cog on the chain like I do with my car but I knocked it off by accident, me the idiot LOL.

Latest posts

Back