Shock Problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustle

Reaction score
Well as some of you may know, i had a problem with my shock. It hardly bounced at all.

I managed to take it off my bike today, and have a look at it. I have no idea what to do. Someone on here told me that the bolts might have been on to tight, so the shock wasn't moving, but thats not the problem.

I know it may need some air or somthing in it.

The bit where you add air to the shock, i pressed the little pin, and a tiny bit of air came out and thats it. Hardly any air in it.
Was oil meant to come out of that air hole because none did.

Should i take it to a petrol station and use there high pressure air machine to put air in it?
It seas on it Max PSI 150. What do you reccomend putting in it?

Also could i do anytning else to get it bouncing? Thanks.

P.s i think its a original Thumpstar 06 shock. It has written on it KS-125R Thumpstar.

The pressure is only for dampening. You wont be able to compress the stock without it in the bike. I had done my swing arm bolts up too tight and it wouldnt let it pivot. Have you checked this? Also shocks are usually filled with nitrogen not compressed air.

no it wasn't. The last I heard the bolts were so tight you couldn't get them off. But now we can work through the problem. Now if you put the shock back in with the bolts greased a little and the nuts on only a few threads, will the shock compress now?

Mack said:
no it wasn't. The last I heard the bolts were so tight you couldn't get them off. But now we can work through the problem. Now if you put the shock back in with the bolts greased a little and the nuts on only a few threads, will the shock compress now?

It compresses a tiny bit. Not alot.
Its better then what it was but only slightly.

Well it could have been locked up for ages and may take a while to free up. Make sure you have the spring preload loosened all the way to the top and start jumping up and down on that thing. If it doesn't start to give after several goes, i'd say the old oil has turned to crap.

Yea,
mine took a while to free up. If you know sum1 bigger than you (if your small) then get them to stand on the pegs and jump up and down. nothin like 80kg of meat to loosen up a shock lol

Mack said:
Well it could have been locked up for ages and may take a while to free up. Make sure you have the spring preload loosened all the way to the top and start jumping up and down on that thing. If it doesn't start to give after several goes, i'd say the old oil has turned to crap.

You say make shore the spring preload loosened all the way to the top. What does this mean?

At the top of the spring, there are two round rigid things that look liike they hold the spring in place. These are not at the top. Do i change them?

Also, how do i change the oil and what oil do i put in it.

Thanks

If there are adjustable rings at the top of the spring they need to be turned and wound back up the thread to release some pressure off the spring. I'm not 100% percent sure without looking at your shock, how you will pull it apart. But if you postup some close ups from a few angles will be able to help. You can replace oil with different viscosity and volume just like the forks to get a shock performing the way you want.

Im just going to leave it until i can aford to get a new one. Its a little bouncier now. It will do for now.

I just been to my local BMX track with 4 of my mates and my Thumpstar. It was great. The park patrol came and chased me. I was like ... Going GOING GONE. Lol

Latest posts

Back