Should I Go 12/12 Or Stay 12/10

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

Reaction score
Im just wondering what the performance difference between a 12/10 and a 12/12 set up. And is it worth it. I currently run with the 12/10 and i have been told if i go 12/12 i would be betta off going 14/12???????? anyone got any advice

u talking wheel size man f##ed if i know wot u mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont go 14/12

go 12/12

i ordered 12/12 rims + tyres from DHZ

yes hes talking about wheel sizes der. 12/12 looks pretty cool but id keep 10/12

nah I rekon keep it 12 10 makes it feel more like an actual mini and its way easier to wheelie

wow sorry no need to treat people like they are deadsh!ts mabye if he was a bit more speciffic i would have known what he was talking about:p (mind u it is a minisite pretty self explainitory) still

minirider140 do you know anything about bikes watsoever haha jokes?

yeh i will have to stay 12/10 until i get a van otherwise it will be a bit harder to fit in the back of the vx haha....................

nah 10 on the back feels better than 12 i was just seeing if any ov you guys have gone the otha combos

well sorry man obviously i am wasted and had a bit of a hard time comprehending your question, and fair go i think i know a little mate (mind u not much). I personally have never tried any combos as the only mini i have owned had been a 14 to 12 couldnt coment just didnt understand your question to begin with....

man i go 12 12 atm but am changing to 12 10 to get that mini feel and 14 12 is just to big (my opinion) and ya lose the sketchy feel of a pitty

with a 10" rear you will have a lower top end, but better bottom end.... go 12'' 12''... it seems to be a good combo

10"/10" XD old skool nothing better at all!
highlly dislike the number 12, 14 or anything higher when it comes to wheel sizes on fiddys =D

I'd like to learn the attraction for some of you guys with smaller wheels, and what type of riding you do which makes it enjoyable?

I have 14/12 on my mid-size, and I would like to try 17/14. I know this breaks some kind of mini tradition. I'd like to for a few reasons:
1) Maybe I don't have any true mini tracks to ride on. But think they are small enough.
2) To remove the "sketchy" feel as firsttimer nicely described it.
3) More control and fun in the air with larger wheels. IMO.
4) Much better handling over harsh bumps and holes. Far less rim hammering too.
5) It'll still feel tiny (and unreal fun and variety) compared to a large MX bike.

I know that with larger wheels that when a bike gets off line, then it is harder to get back in control, but when in control, it's great.

But maybe I am missing something. Keen to learn.

Last edited:
big wheels like the 17" dam haha keep them round the big bikes ;)

little wheels are just so much more fun, i would pritty much ride anything on my mini.. as me and a few mates went to some foresty tracks last year me and a mate on fiddys both 10/10 and 4 other blokes on 250's and 450's..

they pritty much go anywhere, on the beach.. the track doesnt matter but for me the small wheels is just a better ride.. i love being closer to the ground and they look 50 times sweeeeeeeeeter XD

i just love a small fiddy =D

hey man if ur gonna go bigger like ur 17 i will would go out and buy like an cr85 or something like that. cos its alot more fun than have big wheels on a cheappy chineses pos bike. And if your jumping it the 85 is wiked for that

dw guys im trying to sell my motovert pro now its a 2006 125 and im asking 1600

pm if keen

hey man if ur gonna go bigger like ur 17 i will would go out and buy like an cr85 or something like that. cos its alot more fun than have big wheels on a cheappy chineses pos bike. And if your jumping it the 85 is wiked for that

Thanks for the thought Rainey, but that still does not answer my original question which is: why 10/10 is more fun for some people than 14/12? That is more fun for doing riding things besides just wheelies. Smaller wheels sure don't "go anywhere". eg. Try anywhere real soft or real bumpy.

My best guess is that small mini wheels are great fun for BMX style tracks. Eg. where riders can usually recover from big mistakes. I also guess that some people go for mini wheels because they find poor handling larger wheel bikes too difficult to make handle properly (setup), but with mini wheels the poor handling does not punish riders to much. I've seen pit bikes with joke frame/fork geom and yet people can still ride them. Pretty amazing, since the same geom with large wheels would require really good health insurance.

I came from 2 strokes to find 4 strokes and I like them. Now have a KX450F and more recently the MSO to try something different mostly when my kids come riding on their mini bikes with me. A 17/14 wheel sized CR85 would not fill a "fun gap" for me - personally. Having a relatively cheap MSO china bike and getting it to handle and jump well is enjoyable. For something different to my 450 I know I could have gone out and spent $5700 on the CRF150R for a small 4 stroke racing bike experience. But very happy to work on and enjoy my MSO 140SR.

btw: The CRF150R is a "conventional" Japanese mini bike meant for kids and it has 19/16 wheels. As you know the CR85 std has 17/14. So maybe Honda share some of my logic re thinking of 17/14 instead of 14/12. I just want to understand the small wheel thing. I don't know anyone to ask for a ride on one.

17/14 on a pit bike is too big man. But i get your point about jumping it, I reckon the feeling of the minis being so small and easy to ride is a positive and also you dont seem to hurt urself as bad......howeva i have hurt myself more on my pitbike than my cr....... but yeh ive neva tried 17/14 so i honestly would have no idea mate..............by the way go the 2 bangazzzz

12r 12f with kenda rubber would look mean, you could probaly hit a jump wile still reving and probaly land it perfect, the nose would probaly lift a little bit, but not as bad as 14f i reckon, better handleing and less pop tyres lolz,

Latest posts

Back