Snapping Levers on you pitbike.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aztech

Reaction score
Snapping levers on your pit bike>? Try drilling a hole near the end of the lever making it the weakest point. That way when you do come over the bike the lever will snap at the weakest point leaving you with 3 quarters of a lever so at least your bike will be ride able. let me know how you go :D Because there nothing worse than going out for a ride and coming off and ending up with no lever:D

OR u can not tighten the leaver bit up as much so then when u stack ur lever tips up, pick ur bike up push the leaver back down go riding

Hmmm good thinking matey, I have the ones that are spring loaded now (replacements of the standard POS that do snap) Pity I hadn't seen ya post before I broke em. I do however not tighten up the levers too much and they will move (rather than break) if ya drop the bike :D

The spring loaded ones are the worst, they're twice as weak as the normal ones.

Ive broken about 20 levers all up haha, broke both the spring loaded ones on my pitpro in one crash! Got new ones from SA dirt bikes (regular ones) and they havnt broken yet.

Broke sooooo many on my old bike.

I usually do what yellow proX said, but drilling a hole in it is a good idea too.

yep the spring loaded ones are weak an snap easy

i do what you said on my bigbikes aztech so do a few of my mates an i reckon its a really good thing to do cause even though only the tip snaps off you can still ride,i still replace my levers that brake but if im at a track an the end snaps off you can still ride the bike an you dont have to reuine your day by going home or finding a shop to replace it

i did it to my clutch lever on my pitty too an two days later i stacked an only the end snapped off but its still good to use actually it doesnt bother me cause i still havnt replaced it lol (it was 2weeks ago)

Last edited:
I've been doing the drilling the ends of the lever trick for nearly ten years, but don't get lazy replacing the levers when you snap the balls of the end, as i have a scar on my knee that took 12 external stiches, as well as some internal ones to fix the mess my clutch lever made when i stacked...

Mintard and I use a hacksaw to cut halfway thru the last 1/4 of the lever to give it a weak point. Its the same method used by road racers on track. Actually, there are alot of tips road racers have that Mintard has used on his bikes: road or track or dirt.

One of the biggest tips is to carry spares! Its a 2 hour drive to the Mallala track and back when Mintard is racing. But its only 15 minutes to our local dirt track, but we carry spares all the time ... and a toolkit.

I cut my levers down straignt away, cut them and file them out to the exact shape i want for use with a single finger, you can get the sickest custom shape going on! When there full length there way too long, brake easilly and i dont understand how or why you would ever use more than one finger on your brake or clutch? I need the other three fingers to hold on! Its strange seeing people use more than one finger on the controls, i honestly dont know how people can do it!

I notice on my m8 ktm they have the cuts in the lever so when you do stack it snaps the end off so you can still ride the bike untill its replaced. So yeh that how i got the idea of drilling out your lever.:D

Last edited:
ive got a spring loaded leaver for my front brake and its had abit of a bashing but there meant to be unbrakeable so im trying had to put this one to the test but my clutch leaver is just a huge stockie one ive cut down and filed up! nothing fancy here

I carry as MUCH spares as I can. I've got a station wagon with a trailer so I have plenty of room but there's nothing worse than breaking something knowing you have the part sitting at home 3 hours away. If you can take it, take it! :)

As for the brake levers, I prefer the folding ones as they have an adjustment. You can get some which are much more solid but not adjustable, but I don't like the stretch to them for my fingers.

The motard guys run bark busters and this saves your levers aswell as your hands/fingers.

I cut my levers down straignt away, cut them and file them out to the exact shape i want for use with a single finger, you can get the sickest custom shape going on! When there full length there way too long, brake easilly and i dont understand how or why you would ever use more than one finger on your brake or clutch? I need the other three fingers to hold on! Its strange seeing people use more than one finger on the controls, i honestly dont know how people can do it!

Its okay to use all four fingers on the lever unless your a racer and need to 'blip' the throttle under hard braking and gear changes ... something I can't image 99% of pitty riders requiring.

The training courses for Ls and Ps tell you to use all fingers on all levers. My brother Ricky taught me to use the controls with two fingers on the levers and the two little fingers and thumbs around the grips. Ricky races so he's always used this method to 'blip' the throttle.

Although two fingers are used to 'blip' the throttle on hard gear changes, the two fingers are used close to the end of the lever (half way minimum) to allow for better feel of what the front brake is doing. The race bike runs upgraded brake parts etc so the feedback from the brakes in race conditions is vital. Cutting levers entirely and using two fingers for the sake of saying you can use two fingers is pointless.

The levers are half-cut to prepare for a crash, but not removed entirely. Those levers also act as crash protection for your bars, so I can't understand why you'd cut them down to two fingers only.

drilling a hole is good idea i'am gonna go do it know.

Latest posts

Back