some say it wont work...BS!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headsmess

Miniriders OG
Reaction score
what wont work?

putting a turbo on pipsqueak 140 sized engines.

i beg to differ. it produces quite a nice bit of boost at just a bit over idle. no figures, i aint gotten to the point of fitting guages...

Pic_0918_003.jpg

so far, just welded up some old pipe on the exhaust side to see if it actually would make some pressure... and it does:)

note the cat, before the turbo... i decided to stick it on as 1, i needed a bit more length, and 2, it was there, and 3, if its going to get stuck on there, shouldnt it be first in line so it gets hot enough to work?

doesnt seem to detract from the performance, at least.

so, i just fired it up, still no oil lines or intake obviously, squirting some oil down the oil feed as it warmed up (and cooled down, too) and well, yep. it makes pressure :)

probably only cracking 3 grand or so, and wee! you can hear it whining over the unmuffled exhaust! wasnt game to really open her up because of the (lack of) oil yet. just enough to prove im not on a wild goose chase.

the plan? going to try and get one of these new (stat write off) NBC110 posties from the auctions for its EFI system (if its not adequate, then i just strip it and sell for parts then resort to a piaggio or similar), get a brand spanking new lifan 140 (my favourite engine) and fit it all on to my old C50 frame. after making sure it all works on the pitbike, first, of course!

i started doing courier work, using a ninja 250...its fun, but i really want something that 1, can carry a decent load, and 2, something distinctive :) and possibly with a comfier seat... 10-12 hours on a bike, 200+km a day...yep, you get a sore butt!

and of course, we all know lifan 140's are virtually bulletproof, cheap, and theres plenty of upgrades for them... also have relatively low CR as stock.

so, a challenge will be plumbing... firstly, oil supply. cant just tap into the oil cooler lines as they run a bit too much pressure, and the drain needs to be as "free flowing" as possible. ie, straight into the valve cover. see how using a flow restrictor and a double banjo from the oil feed works at first, but i suspect i may be modifying a head-mount oil feed block thingy.

may require a small water cooling setup... turbos get freakin hot, and it will probably pay to set something up, seeing how often i have to stop and start. small radiator from a water cooled PC, and a pump, should just about do it. probably not a good idea to trust thermo-siphon circulation alone, though ill try it at first.

then theres the engineers cert but i think it should be right as long as i am sensible... probably swap the forks over to a disc brake front end, that should be enough to satisfy from what i gathered with my brief talk with one a while back.

but so damn what! i got boost! BOOOOOOST!

Last edited:
I wasn't having a crack at you shags, I'm genuinely interested to see this thing go.

Reckon you would have enough room to hook up radiator off an old cr80 or similar? Or maybe even one of those really small automotive transmision coolers?

not on the pit bike, probably, but on the honda C50...definitely!

those PC radiators are pretty darned small. 80mm-100mm fans. tiny :) though, yeah, would be easier to use an existing radiator with a proper cap on the thing. dont need too much, sheesh, its only for the turbo housing. (mainly for when you stop and have to let it sit there, smoking and burning any oil inside)

i knew i should have grabbed that intercooler from the panelbeaters scrap heap. only just cleared it all out last week. dammit. maybe if i "borrow" one from that impreza down the road? sure he wont notice it missing! :D stupid supa-poos...

right, just found an oil line, 8mm banjo for the turbo end (accidently buying those lines for a YX years ago paid off!) and found my double banjo bolt, back from when i had a kwaka gpz750 and swapped its 5 brake lines for a pair of braids(never throw ANYTHING away!)... time to fire it up again, spray oil everywhere from the drain (!!) and see if it will pop the 8psi blow-off :)

procrastinating now, thinking maybe i should at least make a fitting for the oil drain first...

Last edited:
yep, spray oil she did :)

though wasnt too bad, feeding from the return line of two oil coolers. more of a dribble really... might not need a flow restrictor after all.

and just cracked the wastegate open when placing ones hand over the blower :)

forgot i had another camera...

View attachment 12808
View attachment 12809

gotta do something about the nipple on that actuator, though...stupid unadjustable thing...

Last edited:
update time!

still yet to hook this thing up on the intake side... waiting on some hoses now.

just ordered a complete EFI kit. also waiting now :( decided a blow through carb, whilst maybe ok for the initial phases, just isnt going to cut it.

anyways, after seeing this video
[video=youtube;6tcezxVxdlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tcezxVxdlk[/video]

i decided to play copy cat and do much the same thing...hack up the housing and remove its awkward flanges! i didnt go as far as to make the plate filler guide thing, just hack up the housing like he did.

machiningflange.jpg

out with the mill!

kept the standard pitbike type mounting at this end... 45mm centres for the studs. now i can rotate the housing on the pipe :)

and then, after much deliberation, decided on 42mm stud centres for the other side. not much material left after the hacking!

newflanges.jpg

so, no more wastegate. no more worrying about the actuator. ability to rotate each and every part individually, ie, compressor housing, bearing housing, exhaust housing, and pipes...

now i cant do much else while i wait for various bits but pull the huffer off, fit the standard pipe and muffler, and go for a ride :( at least i fixed the rear brakes the other day. and damn, using some decent dunlops instead of the cruddy chinese tyres makes a difference on the pit-bike!

oh. decided to remove the cat convertor, mainly because...if it fails, where do the bits go? through the turbine. i couldnt accept that... plus i got some new mandrel bends rather than use old exhaust pipes... 29mm from the engine, 32mm for the rest of it :)

also making about 6psi, but thats meaningless as its not under load, and the compressor isnt plumbed up yet. once it gets a bit more air flowing through, therefore more exhaust gas, i expect a bit more than that ;)

but still, it aint ever going to get over 1 bar, i expect...

goddamn it, why has that video gone private? stupid effin prick...

oh well.

i finally got to ride my lil 50! wee! only the first time its been running for, iunno...30 years possibly?

and the turbo is doing what its meant to do, makes a nice whistling noise and seems to be making boost. how much exactly i cant say until i hook the laptop up and do some datalogging.

EFI kit was a hassle, had to completely redo the harness (looked like an octopus at first) and fiddle around with the throttlebody a bit, but yep...she starts first kick and runs with the turbo without bogging, coughing or having general hissy fits. seems to have tuned itself in (as its meant to do!) as i couldnt get WOT for the first few minutes, but now...now shes going good!

WP_20170104_21_12_37_Pro.jpg

forks from an R15, as is the muffler. um...what else? not much. sounds so good, having this turbo spooling up :) weeeeeeeeee!

Latest posts

Back