Spluttering at high revs??!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpstar Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys i bought 2 atomik 110 quad bikes off ebay. I have a problem with one. The bike starts fine, runs fine until 2/3, 3/4 throttle and the thing tottaly splutters and just wont go any faster. I have good knowledge of bikes as i have 5. I have cleaned carb, checked lines, checked tank, new plug, checked exhaust manifold and tried every clip on needle yet still get this spluttering! Then i tottaly ruled out carb problems as i changed carbs with my other quad that ran fine and still the same problem!? So im stuck on thinking electrical, but where?? any ideas? I have checked all leads and they all seem fine. Thanks in advance dudes

my bike did this once and i just turned it off, went ower the bike and pushed all the plugs in the electrical system on nice and tight and it worked again when i started it the next time

do wat no crf said my atomic the cdi s--- it self the first day they sent me new 1 no prob"s now

Yep...probably the CDI...or the coil has some groundissues!!But its easy to pop out the cdi and try some of the other bike!!

id check your jets.. =) they make a huge differnce up in the high revs and yeh ok it is a carby suggestion but your other carby may have the same size jets in it so there would be no change =)

Thanks for the replies, Ill go swap cdi's and ill let ya's know how she goes.

Hey Thumpstar Pro it's just a hunch but your problem sounds identical to the one i was just having. All i did was swap ignition coils over and install a splitfire plug lead and the problem was solved. So if all else fails try that. good luck!

Well! Turns out, the socket that the CDi plugs into was like.... f'd! All of the connectors were rusted, so that would explain my lack of omph in my spark, higher in the rpm ranges. So i put new terminals on, all sodered in nicely. Fired it up and bobs my uncle. ALL GOOD! Tho my BBR exchaust still backfies some but hey its like 5 times too big for the quad but looks sick! Thanks for all the help guys!

I think that i have been having the exact same prob on my thumpstar. Whenever i change from second into third it splutters for a few seconds then starts work properly (thats why my little bro's been betting me :rolleyes: plus power to weight ratio :rolleyes: skinny little turd)

What do yas think. Should i just check over my bike and see if all the wiring and everythink looks in good nik or what?

No way. He's way to cocky. He thinks that because i have a mechanical prob that allows him to beat me along a straight that it makes him better than me. Maybe i should just savatage his bike. A giant weight is looking good :D

hey BWDT when you grab third are you just snapping the throttle open?
it sounds like its bogging to me which could possibly be caused by poor throttle operation, try opening the throttle a little slower and smoother.

Sounds more like the above^^^ or running a tad lean or even partially blocked pilot jet, main jet? Def not electrical

Latest posts

Back