spluttering

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwikaz

Reaction score
hey guys hope you are all well,

well i got this carbie problem i think, i have a 250cc zongshen motor , i had an electricall problem a while back causing bike to splutter badly but i fixed that it was bad connections in the wires, b4 i figured out it was the wires i thought it was carbie so i lowerd the eclip to the top, making it lean i think, the funny thing is i checked the spark plug and it was black after i changed eclip, so anyway the actuall problem im having at the moment is that the bike splutters and back fires at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle so this was annoying me i went home checked spark plug it was white so i put the eclip second from the top again(this was original setting) took for another ride same thing only this time the spark plug was black so its got me stumped would any one of our members here know why this happening to me?? thanks for looking guys :D

a spark plug will naturally blacken when u ride it. is it still spluttering

try another clip up maybe or jus play around with the adjustment of d clip?
got me stumped a lil

The spark plug will read differently depending on the conditions that the engine is running when stopped. ie if it is running rich at idle and lean at half and full throttle, if you realease your throttle and coast to a stop you will always get a rich reading when in fact it is running lean at other throttle positions.

To ascertain what your bike is doing at 1/3 to half throttle (or any position) you need to pull the clutch and hit the kill swich when the bike is under load at this throttle position (You need the bike at normal operating temperature and need to run for 10 seconds at this throttle position before killing it) then roll to a stop and check your plug.

Problems at 1/2 throttle indicate a problem with the needle jet (or e-clip position) so you are on the right path.

thanx

thanx cassa38 very informative your a good man :D i will let you know how i go my man :p p.s what could possibly be wrong with the needle cassa38??

It will probably just be the wrong eclip position, you will find out soon enough.

If you move the clip down the needle it leans it out and this is the most likley cause of your problems.

It dosent hurt to get a read of your spark plug at full throttle as well (this will show if you have the right main jet). So get you spark plug spanner in your pocket and find a long (preferably up hill) track and find out whats going on.

You are best to have it a bit rich rather than a bit lean as less damage will happen to the engine.

I am not a carby guru so if somebody like mack or cactus jack tell you otherwise then go with them.

It will probably just be the wrong eclip position, you will find out soon enough.

If you move the clip down the needle it leans it out and this is the most likley cause of your problems.

It dosent hurt to get a read of your spark plug at full throttle as well (this will show if you have the right main jet). So get you spark plug spanner in your pocket and find a long (preferably up hill) track and find out whats going on.

You are best to have it a bit rich rather than a bit lean as less damage will happen to the engine.

I am not a carby guru so if somebody like mack or cactus jack tell you otherwise then go with them.

moving the clip DOWN will RICHEN the mixture,

if that was my bike, id put the eclip in the middle slot, and go from there, i cant see you needing it to be right at the top (lean)

pretty sure thatll be your problem,

does your idle seem to wanna speed up higher at times???

Last edited:
idle

no the idle is stable. the clip is on the third from the top, but i think im gonna put back to second position as it went better like that, how do i find out what size carbie i got?? im hoping its the jets but wtf is with that why dosnt the seller have the thing made right in the effing first place?? thanx for the help so far guys :D

fault

i think its partly my fault, as i removed the air box so i think its either not gettn enough air or too much as i put a ufo air filter on it with a pre filter sok?? so that could be it?? p.s i think i could have effed the motor cause it was running lean i mean it still sounds and goes alright but how would i know forsure without pulling the thing apart?? effing run in is all ruined now :mad: p.s why is running lean bad i mean the motor has oil to lubricate the damn piston isnt that right??

Lean makes it run hotter. If your motor is running ok then assume its still ok.

As soon as you make any changes to your intake you should re tune your carby to get your mixture right. (you also want a clean air filter when you tune it).

test

ok guys i tested my mixture via the turning off ignition after 10 seconds riding at half throttle these are the results,

1st test= needle eclip setting : second notch from top splutters at half throttle with air filter on. coffee colour spark plug

2nd test = needle eclip setting second from top no air filter no splutter at all goes good but spark plug white. also done with needle eclip at third from top but same white spark plug goes well also at that setting with no air filter.

3rd test = needle eclip setting third from top with air filter but splutters at half throttle with a black spark plug.

thanks guys for looking i hope one of you guru,s can help me out of this pile of doggie doo doo lol :D

not squeky

not crystle clean by any means?? its a ufo filter u see them on 2 stroke scooters and shit, could it be my jets?? i done the test you told me to do??

Latest posts

Back