Sprocket - How many teeth?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbows

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows how many teeth are on the front sprocket of an Atomik MotoX and what gearing that would run for motard.

at the moment even when riding around in the dirt and grass i still take off in second so first is pretty useless at the moment not to mention that it tops out in 4th really quick so i would mind taller gearing as i can use it at both ends of the spectrum.

Anyone have any ideas what i should run.

Current is 43 rear and unknown for the front.

I am actually at work and i was gonna buy something the sarvo before i went home but i guess i can just wait till i get home and count them and then get something tomorrow.

Still there was more to the thread to be answered so it's still open to be answered if someone has experimented and has some wisdom that they would like to share.

ride

depends what you want to ride on?? like dirt or road, i have a lifan 140cc in a monkey bike and ive got rear 29 and front 14 so i get reall good top end.. but if ur doin motard u would need somthn in between i would imagine?? cause dirt riding u need it to punch out of corners and road u need it too have lots of top end...:D

Getting ready to try a 38 tooth on my sl 70 with 125cc lifan. I'm hoping it will get me in the middle range when it comes to riding dirt and riding street. I would go with the gut feeling on this one. I might go have to buy another sprocket if this one doesn't work out. :(

I am wondering if anyone knows how many teeth are on the front sprocket of an Atomik MotoX and what gearing that would run for motard.

at the moment even when riding around in the dirt and grass i still take off in second so first is pretty useless at the moment not to mention that it tops out in 4th really quick so i would mind taller gearing as i can use it at both ends of the spectrum.

Anyone have any ideas what i should run.

Current is 43 rear and unknown for the front.

Wow 43 on the rear, thats rather large and slow gearing isn't it ? I run 17 front and 37 rear on a 125 thumpstar pro, and it halls if i ran a 43 on the rear it'd max out to quick and be rather slow around a track.

Oh yea it's really low like i can take off in second so easy i even pop all my slow moving monos in 2nd cause if i did it in 1st the ring would be valve bouncing in like 2 seconds lol.

I put a 41 rear on and ended up going back to 37 the same day. With the 41 it was just so slow.

i have a lifan 140cc in a monkey bike and ive got rear 29 and front 14 so i get reall good top end..

dam man =P wouldnt have much acceleration youd wanna hope your bike puller nice from the bottem =) i think i run a 37 on the back and i 16 on the front.. i spose tho that would even out abit ;)

From what i hear 1 tooth at the front is the same as 4 teeth at the rear so adding a tooth at the front is the same as taking 4 from the rear.

Does this sound right because i want to raise the gearing so that i actually use 1st now and i have higher top end.

Would i be better off changing the front or the rear?

Ok i finally went and counted my sprockets i am running 15/43 which is pretty low since most people run a lot higher setups.

Can anyone tell me that has played around a little, what i should run if i mostly dirt ride and i will be doing some riding on the road?

Keep in mind i feel like just about all the time i feel like i can take off in second and wouldn't mind making 2nd, 1st and 3rd, 2nd and so on like just shift everything up so 1st isn't so low and i have a better top end.

it can really depend on your engine...
like ive got a set up thats abit more top end (sprocket wise) because i know my engine will pull half decently from the bottom

where as my mate has his set up a tad more up to the top end for more speed case his engine pulls from the bottom bit harder

if your not happy with wat you've got then just swap sprockets over, maybe start on the front thats makes abit of difference quick and if you lik it keep it but if you dont then change. =)

i seem to like the idea of having a nice tidy small sprokect on the back (just me) and then having a smaller sprocket on the front =) dont really like the idea of huge sprockets =)

hope i help =D

Another good thing about a large front sprocket is it will also lift the chain off the swing arm and chain guide, which can rob a bit of power.

I would try going up to a 17 on the front first and if it is still not enough for you, mabey think about a 37 rear sprocket. That is what I run on my stock 140 and It hits just over 100k's before valve floating.

You can buy them cheap as off egay, I just got 2 for $10 each plus postage. But now you will have to find out what pitch chain and sprockets you are running (they will either be #420 or #428) and what size shaft your front sprockets attaches to. Measure the inside of the sprocket it will either be 17mm or 20mm (I think :confused: )

Latest posts

Back