Starting Trouble

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got an Atomik 125cc with a Ducar and lately I have had some real trouble trying to get the thing to start and it won't idle either. Once you finally kick it over you normally can start it again but it will only idle when its hot. I've changed the idle speed on the carbi and adjusted the cable up near the throttle handle but it still doesn't seem to want to idle. It will put put for like 10 secs but the idle will get lower and lower and just stall.
I talked to dad and he said he had the same problem with the mower (I know its got nothing to do with this but anyway) and he said that the timing might be off or something.
Does anyone know how to fix any of this? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt :D

what condition is your spark plug in? how old is the plug? start with the basics, fresh fuel, good spark.

Thats normal for it to stall when idle'ing, you have to warm it up before it will idle. Anyway whats wrong with that? If you're off the bike and it stalls just start it up again and if you're on the bike just give it some gas when it starts to stall.

You can raise the idle speed or put the choke on until its warmed up but I never liked raising the idle really high, I think it makes the bike rev out too fast.

yea the spark plug and fuel etc is all good we've checked that. Yea i get what you mean when you said just give it some and stuff but it used to start like 1st kick. my friend got one and itll start cold and idle first kick.
i duno

check for fuel spark compression and if you have all this up the idle revs by a little bit not to much this solved my problem. doesn't make the bike rev out or nothing just lets more air in thus more fuel, creating an increase in revs. wat happens is you use the little jet for idleing then once the throttle starts to open up it uses the main jet which is bigger in diametre.

check for fuel spark compression and if you have all this up the idle revs by a little bit not to much this solved my problem. doesn't make the bike rev out or nothing just lets more air in thus more fuel, creating an increase in revs. wat happens is you use the little jet for idleing then once the throttle starts to open up it uses the main jet which is bigger in diametre.

sorry thumpy125 i got no idea what your talking about...i don't know nuthin about these bikes

ok all you have to do is increase the idle revs. screw the idle screw on the back of the carbi in a couple of turns then start it up cold it should start, back the revs off by turning the screw out and it should fix it. if it doesn't pull the carbi off the bike, the bit with the air filter on it. unscrew the bottom half and take it to the petrol station and blow compressed air through the carbi you may have blocked jets. their the things with a hole in it and the petrol goes through them and into the manifold to be ignited

hope this helps a bit more.

ok all you have to do is increase the idle revs. screw the idle screw on the back of the carbi in a couple of turns then start it up cold it should start, back the revs off by turning the screw out and it should fix it. if it doesn't pull the carbi off the bike, the bit with the air filter on it. unscrew the bottom half and take it to the petrol station and blow compressed air through the carbi you may have blocked jets. their the things with a hole in it and the petrol goes through them and into the manifold to be ignited

hope this helps a bit more.

ok thanks for that thumpy. ill have a look tomorrow and get back to you on it. :D

Definitely sounds like a carby prob, sounds like it maybe running a little lean, hard to say not knowing what sort of carby u have.
Does it start and run with the choke on a bit? if so its running a little lean and you need to adjust ur mixture....

my mates got the same bike and his did the same it was a blocked fuel hose

is this a new bike? did you flush the petrol tank out before hooking up the fuel hoses...

when i bought mine this week, i flushed a few litres of fuel through the petrol tank before hooking up any hoses to the carby, i flushed it into a bucket and couldnt believe how much tiny plastic dust came out,

so if its new maybe the carby is clogged up a bit!

Yeah, how would I go about flushing out the tank? Did you just disconnect the fuel house and run fuel threw the tank and into a bucket?

hey fellas this arvo i got my bike out n it started first go. what the hells with that? it stll wont idle but i dunno. ill try again tomorrow and see if it goes

FLARRY yeah thats all i did, i put 1 litre in tank, sloshed it around and than drained it out by pulling the hose of, did that a few times till it looked perfect,

mine starts first or second kick, and will idle straight away even on the first start in the morning..

Latest posts

Back