Strip down and Bolt up

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonP

Reaction score
Hey guys ill be stripping my bike down soon just like in Thump* s thread and will be doing a few little mods along the way. ill looking at getting a new 37t rear sprocket, atm i have a 420 pitch chain and sprocket but would love to put a 428 pitch chain and rear sprocket on because of the strength. Would this be okay? im thinking no because my front sprocket will still be 420 pitch and the rest 428? so ill have to upgrade my front sprocket to a 428 aswell yeah??

yes mate, you'll have to upgrade the front sprocket to 428 pitch as well. when it comes to the chains n sprockets, bite the bullet and get a heavy duty D.I.D. 428 chain as used on 85cc mxers...
Pit bikes dont exactly shake the earth when it comes to power, so a 428 DID should last as long as the bike if it's adjusted properly and looked after.
16/37 or 17/37 gearing will be pretty versatile... depending on the bike you're running of course, but i run 17/37 gearing on my 140, and first is actually usable, and top speed is 100kph+... covers pretty much everything..

Thanks for ur replies thump i bought a new 37tooth sprocket today but forgot to ask about pitch im pretty sure its still a 420 but thats ok ill just get a D.I.D 420 chain too im coming from a 42 tooth sprocket and going to the 37 so ill write back with how it goes after im done installing it :D Cheers

Just a few pics one of the new sprocket and the others of the bike without forks wheels etc

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

hey everyone i had a bit of trouble last night. when i was putting the bike back together everything was fine untill ig ot to the front wheel. its like the front brake calipers wont open enough to get the disk in but i opened them up with a flathead screw driver and now the front wheel in on right but it seems the disk rubbs alot on the brake pads? its like when i squeze the brakes on they work fine but when i take them off the stay there or something??

Can someone please give me some advice / Cheers and sorry if this question is somewhere else im in a real hurry

mate its most likely that the caliper "cups" still arent quite in the right place after being levered out with the screwdriver to let the rotor slide in. If your braking performance hasnt changed, you should be pretty right, eventually the caliper cups will even themselves out.
If you wanna be sure, you can pump the brakes a few times, and hold the lever in tight as you can for a few seconds. the constant pressure may be enough to even out the caliper.
Failing that, you can always bleed them.

pads might only be out of alignment, before tightening your axle bolt spin your wheel and the grab ya brake leaver this will align your pads, then tighten your axle

A 420 DID chain will be good enough. Ive snapped many chains on china bikes but im yet to snap a DID.

thanks for ur replies guys i tried all of your suggestions before i posted but im going to go for a ride and use the front brakes alot then see if they have evened out by the time i get home

Cheers ! jason

Latest posts

Back