Synthetic, semi synthetic or mineral oil?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyFork

Reaction score
Which oil is best to run. I got a yx 160 with tb race piston and tb head and I want to protect it as good as possible! I'm just using standard motor cycle mineral oil but I like some thing to clean and protect (This is sounding like a valvoline bloody ad lol) at the end of the day it ain't worth spending the money on good internal parts with out giving them the best oil. I hear dust hectic don't work well as it makes the clutch slip. Any opinions on oils, what is everyone using out there, what are the pros and cons of all these ouls if anyone knows?

Just motul 10w-40w because i get it cheap
its a good oil, clutches like it and i have used it in all of my bikes (big and small) along with the shop i work at..(eg 1000 bikes)

I always was told mineral oil but when I bought my last clutch the bloke said that synthetic is fine with the newer engines an clutches. Motul is good.

Best you'll find after run in, oh and it's a cool green color.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383562765.947914.jpg

yeah, clutches are not a fan of full synthetic oils. semi synthetic is alright, but mineral oil is best for clutches.

Never had a problem with full synthetic after proper run in, I know other guys that have used it and never had a problem either. I for one can say that using the 300v the engine is heaps quieter and the oil life seems to be longer, better for the hotter day rides.

I have always used Castrol Active 4 mineral based oil on all my pitbikes and change the oil every 5 hours use. I have never had a drama with it and all my bikes get a real flogging on the rev limiter.

Never had a problem with full synthetic after proper run in, I know other guys that have used it and never had a problem either. I for one can say that using the 300v the engine is heaps quieter and the oil life seems to be longer, better for the hotter day rides.

Ahhhhh Brendo you gotta ride hard to make a clutch slip...... Yewwwww snap!

Oh our special friend Karl, you bring so much happiness to my life when you come out of hiding, might have two covers it looks like lol.

Best you'll find after run in, oh and it's a cool green color.

View attachment 8997

I don't think so Tim. lol ;)

Motul is overpriced **** IMO.

Everyone keeps raving about different oils to run in different bikes. Synthetic for this and mineral for that.

Well I use an oil you can use for everything. Been using it for 10 years now and it's the bom and good value for money.

4430.jpg

Castrol GPS Power

It's a semi synthetic so get the best of both worlds. Also has clutch additives in it so perfect for pitbikes and trans on split case bigger bikes.

I can't recommend it enough. Awesome bang for your buck and holds up well and run it in everything apart from the jetski. :)

Said it yourself everyone has their own opinion, this question has been asked a thousand times and has been debated a thousand more. No ones ever going to agree on this one I think it depends on the individual and what they think and can afford, I just go with what a few people that I know use & tell me to use they race flat track and a couple of other fellas race MX. The Moss brothers grew up around the corner from me & another mate rides with Robbie Madison all the time, guess what they use but I really don't care buy what you can afford I reckon in these engines there's probably not a lot of difference but mate try some 300v and then try an tell me you don't hear the difference in the engine lad I done a lot of searching on the net and other forums before changing to it and the overall opinion was that it was the best, pricey yeah but up to you mate.

Last edited:
Said it yourself everyone has their own opinion, this question has been asked a thousand times and has been debated a thousand more. No ones ever going to agree on this one I think it depends on the individual and what they think and can afford, I just go with what a few people that I know use & tell me to use they race flat track and a couple of other fellas race MX. The Moss brothers grew up around the corner from me & another mate rides with Robbie Madison all the time, guess what they use but I really don't care buy what you can afford I reckon in these engines there's probably not a lot of difference but mate try some 300v and then try an tell me you don't hear the difference in the engine lad I done a lot of searching on the net and other forums before changing to it and the overall opinion was that it was the best, pricey yeah but up to you mate.

Yeah that's just my opinion. I'm sure all those riders never paid for oil in there life and wouldn't care what they run. ;)

I have used that Motul in my bike but it was way to $$$ for no difference at all. Plus no clutch additives so it's actually bad to run in a pitbikes unless you want to be blowing clutch plates.

Funny story, mechanics through my work buy 24 gallon drums of our company branded oil which just happens to be Magnatech in a different drum. We also sell 24 gallon drums of magnatech for 3 times as much to people that have no clue for exactly the same thing.

Don't read into all the bull****. Most of the time oil is oil and just because it costs you a fortune doesn't mean it's any better for your bike.

True, good point lad.
Haha them boys used to pay for oil when they were like 10 lol.
I remember watching the Moss boys when they were little fellas jumping higher than the tree line just shaking my head in disbelieve.

Yeah that's just my opinion. I'm sure all those riders never paid for oil in there life and wouldn't care what they run. ;)

I have used that Motul in my bike but it was way to $$$ for no difference at all. Plus no clutch additives so it's actually bad to run in a pitbikes unless you want to be blowing clutch plates.

Funny story, mechanics through my work buy 24 gallon drums of our company branded oil which just happens to be Magnatech in a different drum. We also sell 24 gallon drums of magnatech for 3 times as much to people that have no clue for exactly the same thing.

Don't read into all the bull****. Most of the time oil is oil and just because it costs you a fortune doesn't mean it's any better for your bike.
well i get 10l for 80, sells for 120 but thats xx brand

well i get 10l for 80, sells for 120 but thats xx brand

There is a point when you buy cheap though that it's junk. Lol ;)

I would rather by slightly cheaper oil compared to the top shelf study and change it twice as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back