Tapered Bearing Problem

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerro

Reaction score
I recently installed a set of Fast50s tapered steering bearings on my crf50 and noticed after taking it for a ride that I had some play in between the fork uppers and frame. I noticed the spacing between the bottom of the stem and the steering tube on the frame is not even. I checked both the races and they are seated correctly in the right order and the stem nut was as tight as it would go but there was still play. Even if the stem nut was tightened as tight as it would go the resistance in the steeing did not increase. After doing a bit of research I have read a few cases were the height of the lower bearing was less than than the original which meant that the top bearing would tighten down on the tapered steering tube before the lower bearings made contact with its race. A few people fix this by adding another washer at the bottom of the stem (Item 8 in diagram). Has anybody had to do the same thing to correct their steering.

Front Suspension by GrantGerrish, on Flickr

yep had to do the same with my five ho frame just added the washer as was good to go

Thanks mate.. Where did you get the washer from?

i used the #8 washer pretty sure it was from the stock setup? if not bunnings or any bolt shop will have one to suit.

i got some tapperd bearings as well sitting in the shed , im bout to rebuild my speed forks so was going to try put em in while i had the forks off, so will i need to do this with aftermarket forks as-well or only need to do it on the stock forks?

i got some tapperd bearings as well sitting in the shed , im bout to rebuild my speed forks so was going to try put em in while i had the forks off, so will i need to do this with aftermarket forks as-well or only need to do it on the stock forks?
pretty sure its only the stock forks i bolted speedys to the same frame and had no probs

i used the #8 washer pretty sure it was from the stock setup? if not bunnings or any bolt shop will have one to suit.

So you used two washers, the stock one plus another?

Not quite sure if its just that the five-o frame had a deeper recess for the lower bearing race or if the fast50's bearing is not quite as high

Just a quick update, I chucked an extra washer on the steering stem over the weekend and it fixed the problem. Either the bottom fast50s tapered bearing is not quite as high as the stock one or the Five-O frame has the lower bearing seat deeper inside the head tube. I haven't got as much thread in the steering nut as before but it is still enough.

Must be the Five-o frame that is different..

so i got a little bit of play in mine , tryed all the diff old washers and none work.
The bottom cupped original washers with the bit rubber round it stopped the play but wasnt enough tread for the top plate , and checked the new cups have seated right and they have ??? HELP !

Latest posts

Back