Tasmania Zoo track

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaza45

Reaction score
Here's a short clip I edited of the first race at the Tasmania Zoo track on the weekend. Also included a bit of helmet cam footage on one of the young blokes to give ya's an idea of the layout.

We had a working day the day before the race as we wanted to add some jumps and make the existing ones bigger but it was too wet for the truck to get in so we made do with the bobcat and excavator. We now have proper clubrooms with canteen, full watering system, flaggy boxes with roofs, and a cool, well drained multiple lined 8-10 metre wide track. Awesome for spectating too!

We have transformed this place from just a grasstrack only 4 months ago into somewhere that has a lot of character and a great atmosphere too! Unfortunately numbers were down a bit on raceday due to clashes with other events but I think with a bit more work building up the jumps this place is ready for a national round next year?!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2kExxRaIsCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, appreciate it! We have done all that for around $3500, goes to show what can be done with a dedicated crew and some help from sponsors. I want to get the machines back up there over summer to get this place looking top class and I think it would be awesome to have a round in a national series there and get some of you guys over!

Yeah that's it Timmy, pity we're both out injured too! Nice work on the bobcat tho

First of all good work Gaz that track is a vast improvement on round one, looks like the boys had fun. The only thing I'd suggest is a bit more width and a few more obstacles that will actually slow ya down a bit as it seems a bit open to me....jmo... maybe a few stutters n a rythm seccy to slow things up a bit and make it a bit more 10inch friendly especially if you wanna run a national round next year.Half the guys racing in the national scene are on Honda ten inch's so try n keep that in the back of ya head while you're out there with the machines this summer ... A national round next year ? Well ofcourse that is between Brad and Braaad .... I think it's possible however I have a few initial thoughts on the subject ...

Firstly if you guys wanna run a round of the national series I think you will need to start sending a few guys up to actually race in it ...one race in 4 years doesn't really make you enough of a part of the national scene to warrant everyone going down to Tassie ... You guys would have to have a decent representation at all the mainland races from now till then to warrant it ofcourse ..... again jmo

Secondly as I mentioned you could make the track more 10inch friendly and ofcourse have a class for them in the first place ...as I said they are half the national scene.

Thirdly you guys really do live at the end of the world ....the central coast is like halfway for crew in vic to go to queensland and vice versa and most crew do it in a day ... from queensland to tassie is 3 days eachway ...that's a weeks travel to race one round so not sure how many can or will make it.

Lastly if his was too happen it couldn't be banded or promoted as a superlight race by Braad ofcourse it would have to remain minsx like the rest of the series.

Anyway goodwork.

nice vid gazz i cant wait to get back up there over the weekend

and dready i am not wanting to start a debate about this
as im over the S#%T but as you said VVVVVVVVVVVV
Thirdly you guys really do live at the end of the world ....the central coast is like halfway for crew in vic to go to queensland and vice versa and most crew do it in a day ... from queensland to tassie is 3 days eachway ...that's a weeks travel to race one round so not sure how many can or will make it.

yes it is a hike and as much as i and alot of guys down here would love to race more
mainland rounds it a big trip and even if Braaap cover the cost of entrey and transport. its still alot of time in lost wages from work
and then you have the family to think about i cant just pack up and piss off for a week and go racing JMO
peace out

yeah there is a lot more planned for the track from what gaz was saying to me we would have done a lot more work jump wise to the track before racing but the ground was a bit wet were we were trying to get the dirt from and we couldnt get the 10 yard tipper in to load up but i rekon by the next round there will be a fair few more jumps .
but funily enough some of the fastest laps were set by a 10 inch 88 i will try and get my footage of the 10inch class up as its realy good it my favorite class to watch :)

the track width is 6m + which is the required width to race big bikes and yes thats all over the track not just in specific areas so not realy any point making it any wider it just looks narrow in the helmet cam

Yeah thanks Dready and I agree with your points (did I actually just say that?!)

The track has got pretty good width most of the way around and in most areas if we need more, it's just a case of pulling the tyre walls in a bit, but as you probably know this often compromises some racing lines by doing this. Definately agree about putting a stutter or whoop section in and a rhythm section or two, we wanted to do this when we had the machines up there the day before racing but the big pile of dirt we wanted to use was just too spongy. We started doing some of this but it wasn't going to happen so we had to mellow it out a bit. We'll sort this out over summer though.

We have a 10" class already, numbers were a bit down on Sunday but we are happy to run any class if the numbers support it. This class was still good to watch as they could still carry heaps of momentum around the berms, but we will do more to make it 10" friendly.

I'm sure the Brads could work something out that can keep all parties happy. I know a Tas round is a bit more of a challenge logistically, but it might be a novelty for a lot of guys that have never been down here to make a bit of a holiday of it and have a look around too. We would be happy to help the guys out wherever we can. As Brooksy said, it is difficult for us to come over from Tas to all the rounds, as boat costs and other expenses soon add up, but I agree that if we could get a few numbers over there now and then, it would put more weight behind our bid for a round of our own.

Anyway, I only just started thinking about this on Sunday but I know we could put on an awesome event so I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

**cough**cough**

they dont even hold "Australian MX Championships" in WA. and you call that a national championship?

nice vid gazz i cant wait to get back up there over the weekend

and dready i am not wanting to start a debate about this
as im over the S#%T but as you said VVVVVVVVVVVV

yes it is a hike and as much as i and alot of guys down here would love to race more
mainland rounds it a big trip and even if Braaap cover the cost of entrey and transport. its still alot of time in lost wages from work
and then you have the family to think about i cant just pack up and piss off for a week and go racing JMO
peace out

not to debate either man

but most people suffer financial loss to play in the sport they love.
unless your racing pro level your never gunna make money riding.....

cool vid i still wouldn't travel to that track my mind might change with planned works it will either be good or have good jumps but short lap times. not much challenge so far

keep it up

Yeah I hear ya Brooksy ... I was saying at the moment it's roughly the same either way with some coming from either way Vic or Queensland in a day and a round in tas adds newy to Melb n a boatride for the boys in Queensland some of Em have as far as you to get to newy ...and yeah Gaz we agree on something lol When I meant 10inch I mainly meant the Honda crew ...they'll need their own classes ... Man hate the iphone

Yeah thanks fellas, I was a bit bummed out that we couldn't cart a bunch of dirt onto the track for bigger jumps and more technical but you can't help what the weather throws at ya! At least we got the layout sorted so it flows well and we and we have it all looking presentable too. We just need to keep raising club funds so we can do more work over summer so Tassy riders get up there on ride days! Remember to look up "Tas Zoo braaap track" on facebook!

thumbs up Gaza !

your hard work is paying off mate , looks like alot of fun & there looked to be good numbers on the track.

it would be a treat to have a dedicated mini track such as yours

cheers for posting the footage !!

Latest posts

Back