The bike just shut off!!! Need help!!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetpitz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a TDRPRO 125cc pit bike thumpster. 2 days ago i took it out for a ride...half way into my ride, the bike just shut off...i tried kicking starting it but wouldn't start. I tried kick starting it over 20 times until it started again...idles for 20 seconds then cut off again. I took it home and checked the ignition and spark. I'm sort of new to these bikes but i rewired everything and made sure there were no loose wires. below are photos of my bike and the wiring.

Once i re-wired the bike, i tired firing it up again....took around 10 kicks to start it, then shut off again...

i need some advice and help onto getting my bike started again.

cheers

Ry

Attachments

• photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
  • photo(7).JPG
    photo(7).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 21
more detailed:
photo%287%29-1.JPG

also i know its pretty silly to ask but everybody stuffs up:
is there fuel in the tank?
thanks
james

yeah i was using an air filter. I took it took while i was trying to find the problem.

yes there was half a tank of fuel left

i used unleaded petrol from shell

i just pulled out the spark plug and it is black. the spark end and half of the thread is black...i'm guess that the plug could be shot but only time will tell after i buy one.

The bike had a fuel leak at the fuel filter. I have now fixed that with some tighter hose and stronger ties

yeah i was using an air filter. I took it took while i was trying to find the problem.

yes there was half a tank of fuel left

i used unleaded petrol from shell

i just pulled out the spark plug and it is black. the spark end and half of the thread is black...i'm guess that the plug could be shot but only time will tell after i buy one.

The bike had a fuel leak at the fuel filter. I have now fixed that with some tighter hose and stronger ties

just bought a new spark plug for the bike NGK C7HSA.

popped her in and started first kick....idled for 20 second then shut off....would start again after 15 kicks

:||||

anyone got any ideas after this info?

cheers

Check that the tank breather isn't blocked as this may be causing the carby to starve... If you haven't done them recently, set your valves too :)

Strip and clean the carby, you may have grit floating around in it and blocking up the jets (blow them out with compressed air).

i dont know what they are!

where are they and what do i do?

should i do a carby clean as well?

i dont know what they are!

where are they and what do i do?

should i do a carby clean as well?

It's as easy as pie mate! Dive into it you can't really go wrong...

The tank breather is the little billet widget on top of the hose attached to your tank cap, pull it off and make sure you can blow through it easily.

As far as stripping/cleaning a carby goes there are some guides in the tech section and a million videos on youtube. If you are patient and methodical it will be easy.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

ok...i did some more test...

checked if the bike is getting spark! yes it is
i put WD40 through the carby...it started then shut off.
i unscrewed the bottom of the carby and fuel was coming out of the screw.

now i think my last bet is to clean the carby

Tune your carby, clean you're carby(make sure the jets arent blocked), do your valve clearances. Clearly you are getting fuel. These are the first few steps you always do when having bike issues.

Here this is how you do you're vavles: YouTube - ooracing.com how to set your Valve Clearance

Now follow the how to tune you're carby for dummies link Minifighter put up and I'm sure you will be fine. This isn't going to be a major issue. It's just everyone has come at you with different things and followed up with lack of information on what each thing is you need to do.

You'll be right it's all easy stuff to do. Good luck.

Also just a little hint start you're bike from the top dead centre (TDC), http://www.miniriders.com.au/motor-tutorials/25055-how-start-pit-bike-properly-top-dead-center.html. Then you shouldn't be kicking it 10-20 times.

Before tuning and adjusting fuel mixtures try adjusting valve clearances. That sounds like your problem. As the engine heats up you are loosing clearance, thus holding the valves open and the engine cuts out.

But read the threads Mini Fighter linked, everythign is in there.

Latest posts

Back