the next project.......

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so after reading through some more fellow mr builds i decided not to buy a brand new bike for my seven yr old's birthday. Instead i'm looking at this tomorrow.

i no she is no beauty but for 125 bucks, and only 20mins away, im pretty sure i can make her better than brand new on a cheaper budget than buying a brand new bike :)

Great idea mate, Are you gonna do it with your son??

I loved rebuilding my bikes. But i did those by myself. :(

Anyway Hope it all goes to plan. Try and get it for a hundred hey.

That is exactly the same bike I built, my Atomik build, lol!

Good on you Stu, I hope the little fella loves it :)

yeah, i built my oldest boys bike with him, until he lost interest that is lol. i did try for a 100, but 125 was the best i could do, he did want 150 tho. see what happens tomorrow, maybe a little bit of 'it needs new bearings, seat, plastics, bars' etc etc will bring it down a little more. either way i reckon if i put another 500 into it it can come up sweet and be better than a 600 dollar ebay bike ;)

That is exactly the same bike I built, my Atomik build, lol!

Good on you Stu, I hope the little fella loves it :)

i thought it may have been, yours was a 125 though yeah? this is only a 70cc, but once he needs more go i will rebuild the gpx125 and turn it into a rocket ;)

Yea, Aomik do 2 different engine sizes in the Moto-X. 125, and 70. mines a 125 though.

Could try and use the X4R forks too, remember you'll have to modify the bottom triple clamp and headstem.

i thought it may have been, yours was a 125 though yeah? this is only a 70cc, but once he needs more go i will rebuild the gpx125 and turn it into a rocket ;)

Damn I was thinking last night, I wonder what Tassy Stu did with that GPX??....lulz!!

Awesome mate, I recon I have a whole bunch of stuff you need...remember I have the other pitpro the 160 came in sitting in the shed, plastics, seat, they are klx but I happened to buy a TTR tank for the bigwheel pitpro which finally came the other day...of and the 740s...Ill take some photos tomorrow of the stuff I have around atm!!

have you got any 640's left over there stoozo? im building it for my seven yr old so will have 10" rims etc... i need crf50 plastics for this to, got any of them?

hey blender how long was the shock on yours? im thinking of going 15mm or so shorter than stock to drop it that little bit further

hmmm will try find one with a lower spring rating, he only weighs 25 kilos so that would be like a rock to him. i didn't realise the stock shock was so short either.

Yea, they are not quite a mini, or a midsize. They are an odd size, mine is kind of wierd, since i put 735mm forks on it, but it actually works out well, but in your situation, 640's would be better.

I couldn't find a shock with a heavier or lighter spring rating in that size, they were all 260/270mm. I think it would be ok, if you put the rebound on the lowest click and loosened the spring off all the way.

im planning a budget build for his birthday, and then xmas i can get him the gpx's for the front and a good shock, so if the one on it now is no good whats your old one like? might have to buy it of you if its any good ;)

i couldnt find anything either, im almost thinking of moving the shock mount and running a fastace 300/350lbs shock..... its funny how most builds want more clearance etc but im looking to mini it more than stock lol

looking at your build again, the frame mount for the shock almost looks like its meant for a a style swinger. i have the old one from callums bike here, i might see if i can run it that way instead ;)

You wouldn't want my old shock. It resemble a banana both in shape, and taste.

I just actually remembered, the Atomik moto-X runs a 250mm shock, I had an old parts bike i had to use the shock out of after the original collapsed. So yea, they run a 250m shock, sorry if I mis-lead you.

Stock shocks are nothing to talk about, but if it only has a 25KG rider on it, I think it would be ok. Heres just an ebay cheapy, there are a few others with other colours anodized on, 240mm Shock Absorber Shocker Back Rear Suspension PIT PRO Trail Dirt Quad Bike | eBay
But, you never know what spring rating it is. Some ebay ads state them, and others dont...

Check out the internets there is a thread on some nameless forum about re-building your shim stacks to make a cheap shock feel like an elka...might give it a crack at some stage!! Sounds like fun!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back