Thumpstar not running correctly

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustle

Reaction score
Hey,

About 6 months ago, my Thumpstar stopped working for no reason at all. I checked the usual spark plug etc etc and narrowed it down to the magneto (stator plate).

Anyway, i got a new magneto and put it in and it started, however, its still not running right.

When you start it, if you dont give it half revs, it wont start. Once its started, if you dont keep the revs up, it will just die. Also, when running, its running like a slug. Backfiring, sluggish and it just wont go anywhere. You can have it flat out in 3rd and it will doddle along at 5mph and make a loud exhaust noise, but just not go anywhere.

I'm out of ideas with this bike.

I dont know how an incorrect magneto could cause this, so im ruling that out. I've tried a different spark plug and cdi and coil but it didnt change anything.

The only thing i can think of, is that the carbs knackered??

What do you guys think! I'll try and post a video of the bike running soon.

have you tried tuning it? my bike is running crap atm i have brand new outlaw motor i believe its running to lean im going to have a look at it this weekend.

Another carb is like $30. Throw another one on and give it a go. If its sat for 6 months, then this may be a new unrelated problem. If its not the carb, you've always got a spare.

if it still won't go after trying all the above, have a look at your valves. I think its 0.03 and 0.04 thou.

Latest posts

Back