Tightening spokes

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-125

Reaction score
Hey guys i was just checking my spokes and some of them were lose i was just wondering how tight to do them?
Any help would be good thanks

best way is to use a spoke tool
8.JPG
, you can use a cresent but you will end up rounding them

just nip up the loose ones and then run the tool round the wheel hitting all the spokes and which ever give up a dull sound tighten it ;) spokes are a bitch and i hate them =P but good luck

your ment to tighten them opposite to each other so you dont pull a buckle into the rim
so if you pick a loose spoke you can tighten it but thenyou have to tighten the spoke on the other side of the hub but 180deg. to the opposite this will pull the original spoke tighter
you can go around the wheel doing the same
it's a pain in the arse but if you want to do it right thats how it's done
otherwise as long as all your spokes aren't loose you can just keep tweekin them up
warning not to tight

it will come back and bite you in the arse.

you can use plyers if you don't have a spoke tool

i heard that when tightening spokes to do one spoke then leave 5 and do the next to get an even coverage, u should go around the rim roughly 7 times, and give it a firm hand tightening, ive tried and had no probs on mountain bike and moty.

I made my own! And the only way to do it properly is to take the tyre off so you can see how far the spoke is through the nipple, otherwise you will end up with the hub out of centre.
No point tightening a loose spoke if it is coming through the nipple as this will cause punctures. As people have said previously, some times the loose spoke isn't the problem, it is the opposite spokes that may need to be tightened. So the only way to be sure if you are doing the right one is to take the tyre off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back