Time for some hoop frying!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby

Reaction score
Ricky and I are going out, with another mate, to the Mallala track tomorrow to test the GSXR out. The forks have been drained and topped up and some custom spacers put in to better match the spring rate and rider weight, and increase adjustments. New set of Pirelli tyres fitted and new filter. Slight tuning problem has also been resolved too.

Got a friend of a friend going out there with his Honda in the slow group. We gotta show him the track and the 'lines' and braking markers etc. He's a trackday virgin and we're going to have fun with freaking him out. If he steps up to the medium group, Ricky will drop from the fast group into the medium group to have some fun with him. :eek: LOL

Hoping to better 1m17s and crack into the 1m16s/1m15s bracket during testing tomorrow. That'll put the GSXR on the front row at Round 3 in November. Wish us luck! Pics to come.

:D

Also, going to take a vid of the TLR frying its rear tyre in its new Rizla Suzki paint. Vid to come.

:D

Not a good day!

Ricky broke the chain in the 3rd session at into turn 3 at Mallala. Me and his mate Steve were watching the bikes and we couldn't see him (turn 3 is out of our view). We found out what happened when Ricky got the bike back to the pits. He was apparently heading into turn 3 (at over 100kph) when the chain broke and the rear locked up for a bit and then suddenly he is off into the dirt and his chain is overtaking him! LOL The bike was kept upright and it was amazing he didn't crash as he said the bike got a bit unstable and "got the shakes". The GSXR got repaired and we only missed one session.

Ricky was also trying out some new rubber on the GSXR and there was nothing but problems with the grip. Couldn't get the bike going any better than 1m19s without the back end losing grip and going all over the place. I was watching Ricky with his mate Steve (who was also testing the bike yesterday) and we could see from where we were standing that the bike was sliding and twitching all over the place. Ricky HATES the tyres. LOL

For those who don't know the race tyres Ricky uses comes in 3 compounds. SC1 is soft, SC2 is medium, and SC3 is hard. Ricky was trying an SC3 on the rear. Too hard and not enough grip for his "style" of riding. He wants the SC1 tyres back. Even Steve who is a 1m17s rider couldn't get the bike to go better than 1m19s.

One thing that did go well was the upgrade to the suspension and brakes. Ricky and Steve were outbraking alot of riders out there and they both agreed the front end felt great, much better than before.

So, now we need to replace the tyres for softer rubber, increase the rear suspension preload, and drop the forks lower from 8mm to 13mm and the next track day should get better results. Can't wait!!!

Sounds like a pretty decent day rube :p,
How much is it going to cost for new tyres? and what are you going to do with the old ones mate.

Hey Ruby,
glad to hear some things went well on the weekend but I have a question for off topic, I was gunna start a thread on it but thought that you or Mintard would be the only ones that could answer it m so I thought I'd just throw it in here.
I know that the world SBK's now have the "magic button" (traction control) on the left hand controls on the bars, but do the GP bikes have that as well, or is it just the SBK's?
Cheers
--
Steve

Traction control on a GP bike is on all the time with it generally being rider adjustable by a small amount by a bar mounted switch. This can allow a rider to turn the TC up a little bit towards the end of a race when the tyres are past their prime etc...

... although Kawasaki are still trying to get their TC to work properly LOL

But Suzuki have seemed to got theirs to work well. Obvious the way Chris Vermulen keeps to the front of the grid in the wet. But thats probably an aussie trait anyways :D

Latest posts

Back