Timing chain bolt

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smith#29

Reaction score
hey fellas,

need some insight to fix a problem regarding my timing chain bolt.
when i last went for a ride, after riding for a few laps of my track, i noticed a weird noise started coming from the engine, it wasnt running right, missing and all that. so i wheeled my bike back to the shed and pulled the engine out and on close inspection, my Timing Chain Bolt was half way out (vibrated loose) so i decided to tighten her back up. now this is where it went wrong. as i did the bolt up finger tight, the caseing around the bolt broke off (see attached photos)(and sorry about crappy phone pictures) so obviously this is related to why the bolt came out in the first place.

smith529

smith529

now, as you can see, the side closest to the fly wheel has snapped off flush with the case, but the other side is up a bit higher where the bolt head would sit normally(if that makes sense). in the inside there is around 15mm of thread left, so would i be able to just chuck a longer bolt in there or do i need a new case/just get a new engine? has this happened to anyone else or just me? and why would it do this?

think i said as much as i need to say, if not, just ask. if those photos didnt work (there is a high chance, first time posting photos) heres the link to my photobucket
Pictures by smith529 - Photobucket

cheers fellas

:eek:

all i can say is...rooted!!! cant even helicoil that one....

you could get it welded and retapped, but...easier to get a new engine.

could just stay with a new case, but the work involved isnt worth it. splitting the whole engine, getting a flywheel puller, la de da de da...

then putting it back together.

new engine:) easiest option. paying to swap the case would cost more anyway...

i got a jialing 125 if your looking at getting a new one its second hand but goes good! i have a cam in it and IRK etc if your interested

thanx for the replies, new engine sounds like its the go.

sorry arron, thanx for the offer, but leaning towards a 140 with a few go fast bits put on it, cheers

This time run a sump guard as it looks like you've smacked the bolt on something and that's what's caused the case to crack ...

thanx cactus jack, your probably right, took my bash plate off cause it looked gay and didnt think i'd need it on my small track (only got a small tabletop with heap of berms and that) so might have done it when i over shot a tight right hander maybe lol

anyways, time for a 140 build.
cheers.

Latest posts

Back