tips on how to jump

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-125

Reaction score
hi guys i'm 13 and i'm trying get my jumps right and get some more air can any one give me any tips cheers

come at speed lean back (but not too far) and give it a quik burst on tha throttle but depends wat kind of jump i suppose

and dont sit down or try to seat bounce when ur learnin i learnt that the hard way

haha thats what uv got to try and achieve........ NO DEATH!

Well, I've just started doing small jumps too.. What i suggest is.. when your coming up the ramp sortive Bend your likes, like a jockey does on a horse but dont lean forward like they do.. Keep in this same position till your down .. NEVER sit down when your going on a jump.. You'll go straight over the handlebars or you'll just fall off... Hey, feel free any of you jumpers to correct me.. I'm not a pro jumper..

u can sit down when u jump......its called seat bouncing, but yes i can be abit scetchy i find it a good way to jump high steep BMX doubles, helps get the front end down, but everyone jumps diferently so what eva works for you!

oh, cause I went over this little jump sitting down and My ass when up in the air and i nearly went straight over the handlebars but anyway

Oh snap, we'll I meant dont sit down if your going over small jumps :D

No probs dude, hope you have fun jumping :D

Hey Mate,

Good luck getting into some jumping. Don't do what a lot of kids do straight up and try and go massive, throwing a double can can back flip while they're at it coz you won't learn properly.

Start off with a smallish jump (even just a single that you flat land on) and learn the correct style...jumping is all about style. Once you've mastered the style of jumping, it'll come easy from there weather its a double, tripple, tabletop, step up, step down or whatever.

Most importantly...HAVE FUN!!!!

Here is a link that was posted on here a few weeks ago. Its from Stephan Gall, he runs big rider training facilities and is an excellent rider, knows what he's talking about. Its got heaps of useful stuff on there, and three good sections about jumps.

Yamaha Motor Australia

Good Luck Mate

Don't kill Yourself!!

contrary to what others have said, you always keep your weight centered, Don't lean back, keep your approach to the jump smooth and a constant speed.
Most of your trajectory depends on your throttle work just before you leave the ramp, never back off the throttle, a small braaaap before you leave the ramp will get the front wheel up and going where it needs to, not doing this will have you landing on your front wheel or possibly going over the bars.
As the others have said, don't go big, start small and try to get your throttle work down pat and landing consistently on 2 wheels..
good luck... we expect an update on your progress...

hi guys i'm 13 and i'm trying get my jumps right and get some more air can any one give me any tips cheers

just make sure you have your weight equaly in the middle of the bike, & throttle control is a key factor... barrrr barrr baaarrrup

i prefer to seat bounce smaller steep jumps (like trashhumpy) all i do is lean back and give it a fair bit off the lip. this keeps your front end up as usually when seatbouncing it tips downwards and the arse sticks up (bad things happen then lol). In the air keep leaming back to keep the wheels level and power on as you land. I also stand up jump, mainly over longer smooth jumps with longer landings. keep your weight central and have plenty of speed coming into the jump..just give it a bit of grunt off the top of the lip and your off. keep your weight central and as you land adjust your body to suit (back wheel lnding = power on when you land and lean forward+tap back break and front wheel landing = power on in air and lean back)
hope that helps, Michael :)

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... before i got my first bike at the age of 8... i would constantly jump my bmx of anything possible.. i would bulid dirt hits in the middle of my court or at the park..and then just keep jumping till i learnt the do's and donts... then i started progressing and got my style downpat.. then came the lil whips.. x-ups.. turndowns..no handers, no footers and so on.. so just practice and it should all come naturally..;)

Latest posts

Back