triangle swingarm vs mono swingarm

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddy_110

Reaction score
what are the pros and cons of having triangle swingarm or mono swingarm?

If they really were stronger and worked better, don't you think all real bikes would be using them? ;)

The main reason mini's have them is that with the little wheels and short wheelbase trying to fit the shock infront of the back wheel would make the swingarm too long, so having it up high and laying it flat works better.

If they really were stronger and worked better, don't you think all real bikes would be using them? ;)

The main reason mini's have them is that with the little wheels and short wheelbase trying to fit the shock infront of the back wheel would make the swingarm too long, so having it up high and laying it flat works better.

Only one "real bike" which is a KTM uses a swing arm like the mono style on a pit bike all the others use a linkage. Most pit bikes are not engineered for strength or performance (or engineered very well) but for a "look" to make them sell, make them look like a big bike and people will buy them.

You dont get too many tri swingas ripping out shock bushes or bending swingarms yet they have smaller bolts and much lighter and softer springs, this is because the stresses involved are much less than the mono style.

id prefer a mono swingarm i think they work better.

the mono shock takes more of the stress form the swing arm and doesn't transfer as much to the frame
because of the angle of the shock on the tri frame the presure transfers into your head tube
i've been "told" that the mono swing arms are a bit more forgiving to
i would of thought it to be same same

all i know is that i have snapped three tri swing arms on my 110 all in the same place. right where the mount for the shock is

i could just be a bit hard on them

but i'm going for a mono for the next bike

i like mono but each to their own,
yes the tri swingers arent taking as much force through the shock but thats die to the leverage they have as they are set further away from the pivot but the extra force has to go somewhere doesnt it, there pros and cons of each system.

As many of us oldies would remember the old YZ Yamahas used the Tri Swingarm for quite a few years,due to the placement of the top shock pivot point being so far forward the bikes used to have an annoying trait nicknamed "Yamahop" ie when the rear supspension was pushed too hard under hard acceleration and hard braking the rear end would kick high,more so than dual shock & mono swingarm setups.This even occured on the factory works bikes with top quality suspension components.When moving the top shock pivot point close to the centre point of the bike the weight bias is upset and plays havock with the bikes handling.Yamaha moved to the Mono style rear swingarm with pivots and all eventually.!!

Just a bit of history here !!!

Cheers Brian

Triangle Swingers Are Better When Jumping, I Found And Pegleg Will Back Me That I Had Huge Problems With My Standard Mono Shock Ie: Snapping Chains Smashed Magneto's , Side Cover Etc. We Custom BuilT My Mono Shock Into A Triangle And It Is A Huge Change. A Much Firmer Stronger Bike To Jump.

dumb question but does suspension travel remain the same from mono to tri? Would my 66rc fastace fit tri swingarm? What about CNC alloy swingarm? these any stronger?DHZ did sell them for$189 but all gone. Also why dont moto-x bike shocks bolt to swingarm but have the linkage?
06YZ_23.jpg

what is this?

trialshondartl250s2z.jpg

Latest posts

Back