TTR 230 vs CRF 230

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Aslan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im looking to get a big bike, im most probably getting second hand and 4 stroke.
Ive been looking at the 230's and don't know which one is better..
Im 13 yr old and i want to have the bike for as long as i can.
I was looking at the TTR 125 and CRF150F and i thought that ill grow out of it in a some years. So im looking at TTR 230 and CRF 230, which bike is better? More reliable and powerful.

Cheers

RED!

I have gotten a CRF230 07 model. Will show pics when i get it from VIC.
But if i dont do good in half yearly report, dads selling it to our freinds!
So gtg and study!!
Cheers.

Last edited:
the honda has reasonable power.. u wont get bored too quick.. the yamaha is best when riden harder. but the honda has better handleing and comfort which makes the difference.. ( got this info from a moto mag i got) in my opinion take the honda... it will last for like 50years hahah

Someone said that Honda's are very 'fitliy' they have to 100% or they wont kick over and the Yamaha are more reliable. My dads got a TT 250 91 model and that still going, always start second kick ;)
So is it true about the Honda's having to be very perfect to go? Unlike Yamaha's?

Last edited:
any bike will if it is looked aftered.
my cr125 starts first kick. most are normally like 2-5 kicks.
oh and they probably have electric start so u wont need to worry.

Ohk, does any one else no much about 230's? Or does any one reconmend any thing else..? any advice guys?

What about the crf150r? I can do motocross on it aswell as trial? Because its a four stroke race bike does that meen i have to rebuild the motor like once a year? or not because its a four stroke? Because i like doing motocross as well as trail riding..

get the 150r expect to do a few rebuilds , and it will last you till your 17 those things haul ass

im not even sure..... cant be to much , maybe just do the valves every 6-12 months... but couldnt be to sure

rebuilds cost 1000 - 2000 because there a four stroke but 2 strokes are only like 1 grand but you do not have to do them as often if its a four stroke. if ya like doin motocross aswell id go the 150 because of the 230 forks. although be aware that the 150 is a midsize - 3 quarter bike meant for kids around the ages anywhere from 9- 15.
in my opinion i would go for a like 00 01 or 02 model cr125 which would be around the same price.
tip: If ya keep the top end nice and fresh i.e changing the piston and rings every 12 months and keeping fresh engine oil in there it will extend the age of your engine.

lol a cr, he will kill himself.. oh and 1 grand for a 2 stroke rebuild .. try 200-500.
but yeh the 150 will cost a fiar bit in maintainence.. go for a 85 2 stroke or a 100.. but a 125 will be too big.

I want 4 stroke.. thats why im going with like the 230's i would be a 85 BUT the maintenance... Just not sure whats really better crf or ttr, my dads got tt 250 like 91 model and well he wants to get a ttr but i like the look of crf more.

Last edited:
in the case of the 230's ride them both.. check them out.. and decide.. which ever one u prefer.. there practically the same lol

both those bikes r slow as...but i guess it depends on wat u using it for....i had a ride on a ttr230 and it was so slow....those bikes r just meant to be for fun...i have a rmz250 n i love it...it hammers round the track...but im looking into a 450 now

in the case of the 230's ride them both.. check them out.. and decide.. which ever one u prefer.. there practically the same lol

Not true at all!! Both bikes are very different!!

I would go the 230f mate. It would eat the TTR230 for breakfest!! The TTR is how can I put it, a cheap version of Yamaha's better bikes (YZ, WR's). The CRF is more race bred, the TTR is more your not very experienced just put around on kind of bike (like the DR's compared to the RM's). You will definately grow out of the TTR really quickly.

As long as you check the valve clearances regularily, you wil be fine. You can shim the valves first before replacing (like $100) and that gives you another good 6 months. To replace the valves your looking at $500. A Full Top End Rebuild would be like a grand. Don't forget the Valve Saver!! :D

Not true at all!! Both bikes are very different!!

I would go the 230f mate. It would eat the TTR230 for breakfest!! The TTR is how can I put it, a cheap version of Yamaha's better bikes (YZ, WR's). The CRF is more race bred, the TTR is more your not very experienced just put around on kind of bike (like the DR's compared to the RM's). You will definately grow out of the TTR really quickly.

As long as you check the valve clearances regularily, you wil be fine. You can shim the valves first before replacing (like $100) and that gives you another good 6 months. To replace the valves your looking at $500. A Full Top End Rebuild would be like a grand. Don't forget the Valve Saver!! :D

mate im just going by wat my moto mag says.. so yeh i think they would be right.. yamaha has more power but the honda more comfort. simple.

Latest posts

Back