Tuning a Daytona?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
I have purchased a Daytona but only have a 26mm molk carb to run with. It is still very good with this carb but not perfect. I can tune it so that at low rpm (first 1/4 throttle) it has a ton of power and does not stall as easily but at wide open it coughs and splutters, which made me think it is rich. So I leaned it and at wide open it was better but not perfect and if I went any leaner it would not run as sweat. But when it was leaner it would stall very easily (not my riding skill! but the engine) which is very annoying when trying to climb hills, and the bottom end grunt just wasn't there any more. Could all this be fixed by changing jets or is it the carb? I am looking a keihen pe28 or similar in the near future (maybe a Christmas present:) ) but would like a cheap fix for the present. Could a new coil also help as its just a stock atomik coil at the moment. I was thinking that maybe if I tuned it so that it was good for the first 1/4 throttle then I could change the main jet to fix the wide open spluttering.

Another problem I also have is that it does not start very well especially when leaned (less fuel to air), could this also be related with the carby problems above? Would really like it if there was a fix for this one as I got blisters today from trying to start it.

But don't anybody think that I'm not happy with the engine cause it really is great, even with this crappy carb it pops mono's without breaking a sweat.

you need to re-jet it, it can be a prick of a job sometimes but do your self a favor and buy a jet kit and have a go at it

When you say you are "tuning" it, you dont actually specify what you have adjusted/changed? Is your definition of tuning simply adjusting the air/fuel screw, or have you been playing with pilot and main jet sizes, and needle clip position ??

Sorry just meant I had been playing around with the air/fuel screw, I have never actually changed jets before so this will be a first. Also it did not have a needle clip so it has to be jets I guess. All so for future reference what would be the best carb to run with this motor?

Thanks for your help guys.

First of all: Loose that carb...they are POS
Second : Get a Keihin PE or PWK 28
Third: Go to the BBR Website and check about the jetting of this carb
:thumbup:

I would think you couldnt go wrong with a 28mm Mikuni/Keihin as an upgrade. Yeah there is some good stuff on the internet and even on here, if you want to read up and understand more about carburation. Will really make jetting a bike a lot easier, and get you going in the right direction. One good piece of advice, is only make one change at a time, and then ride it again. Dont try and jet it on a stand either. It doesn't give you a true idea on what the motor is doing.

Latest posts

Back