Tyres?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the man

Reaction score
Hey
Have done a quick search and nothing has turned up on the forum but i was wondering what sort of tyres everyone is running on there mini/pit bike and what there thoughts were on them? Like grip, durability and wear factor etc

I am thinking about getting any of these

Bridgestone
Dunlop
Kenda

What is peoples thoughts?

the tyres i use are bridgestone 404 very grip get them at a Honda or Yamaha

We use Starcross swear by them on hard dusty trails and tracks. Havnt used them back home (QLD) yet tho

Assuming you want performance (traction) and not just long lasting, then generally you get what you pay for, and you also should match the tyre terrain rating to what you will ride on, or else get a tyre which is designed to be an all rounder. The China tyres are usually sub standard compared to the Jap and Euro brands. Tread pattern and size are important, but there is much more to a tyre, such as carcass construction and rubber compounds. The better tyres also have harder rubber around the middle nobs.

Bridgestone M404+M403 are unreal for traction on a wide range of medium terrain, and they hold up pretty good if you stay away from rocks. But you can only get the older design M402+M401 in mini sizes. So I did not buy them.

I expect that Michelin Starcross would be great (as mentioned by DURT) if you matched the tyre type for your terrain (eg. MH for medium/hard). But the places I buy at could not get them for what ever reason(s).

I've tried a Kenda Millville on my 14" front, and I was not terribly impressed. I tried a Kenda Carlsbad 19" on the rear of my 450 and it was ok on hard pack, really tough too, but did not hook up well at all in medium or soft loam. The Carlsbads are heavy too (in the larger sizes at least). Heavy tires can make you mini bike handle a lot worse because ordinary suspension will become crap suspension.

At present on my mini I have a pair of Pirelli MX Scorpion eXTra tyres, and they are pretty good for traction on everything, and they hold up quite well too. Loose rocks and blue metal stones hurt them the most. The best things about these tyres for me is: 1) When they slide in loose/hard surfaces the feel is progressive and confident. 2) With normal mini air pressures (like 13 to 16) my rims don't get hammered too bad. 3) They are pretty light weight too. So really happy. About $50+$60 for the set.

I Use the best tyres ever made they dont slip. they last really long no matter what you do they are the MKEK Tyres. If you want any let me know and i can get them a good reasonable price. remember its not about how much you pay its about what your paying for.
Thanks

You mean bullet proof tyres made my the Turkish gov owned military manufacturer? Tell us how much?

$50 for the set with tubes. postage to you is probably around $25.
its still worth the price. let me know what you think

post up a pic of them... and by turkish military he is reffering to MKEK who are a turkish company that make millitary weapons and equipment

Last edited:
You told us the brand is MKEK. I just googled it. Bullet proof and puncture proof tyres might be cool, but I'm not convinced that they'd be better for grip and weight than a pair of Pirellis or whatever. What's your web site URL for more info? eg. sizes, weight, terrain types, freight costs etc.

for soft and loamy dirt to mud, like we have down in lower sa, you wont find any better tyres than michelin starcross ms2. Ive tried heaps of different tyres and nothing comes anywhere close to these. I was shocked at the difference in grip. seriously, everyone needs a set of these.:eek:

for soft and loamy dirt to mud, like we have down in lower sa, you wont find any better tyres than michelin starcross ms2.
You're most probably right. But only because Bridgestone M404+M403 tyres don't come in mini sizes. ;) Honestly, I plan to try a set of MS2s once my Pirelli Scorps are worn out, since I mostly ride in medium, and I LOVE good tyres.

Oh ok i never knew that mkek was a turkish military company that produces bullet proofe tyres. but anywayz i want $75 with postage for the tyres + Tubes for sizes 0" to 14" and $100 with post for sizes 15" to 21".
thanks

Latest posts

Back