Upgrading MadAss 125 Engine

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHZ

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've had a gutfull of my MadAss 125 Engine and am looking into replacing it. I've looked into getting it registered with a new engine in NSW and it seems I need to get an engineers cert for it. I've spoken to an engineer and he reckons that as long as I'm within 1 HP of the original engine, I should be okay.

The owners manual for the MadAss seem to say it's current engine is only 8HP. I'm guessing this is at the wheel, because I can't see how it could be so much lower than any of the other chinese ones with similar capacity. Any idea how much the Lifan / YX 140's would be at the wheel (ballpark figure).

Also does anyone know any cheap places to get a dyno test in NSW?

JHZ

Last edited:
from what i have read else where i think you just ring up the joint you registered it through and tell them you have put another motor in, if its gunna be a 140cc,150cc,160cc just tell its a 125 give them the vin and grind off any markings on the head/barrel that says its bigger than it is supposed to be:D

Not 100% if this correct or not PM motoluver im pretty sure he knows what the go is

I don't think you need to dyno it, few of the boys on here have changed their engines and all they did was tell the rta they bought the same capacity engine, and then as roost said just grind any markings off the barrel. Or you could do it the honest way, pay a lot more but your garunteed not to get in trouble for doing it.

Any NSW boys who've done this, wanna verify this is and give me the procedure they used?

mate ,ring the RTA bloody to easy they will tell you what to do

BTW if you ride on the road ,i sudjest you do it the legal way

no insurance other wise ,no thirdparty ,would it be tops to mame a person then have no thirdparty to cover the persons medical cost and rehab

just put a 125 in there and gear your bike to suit it better or spend some coin on a bigbore kit and stroke the thing

I did ring the RTA, but they're none too clear about it. That's why I want to hear from someone who's done it.

As if anything to do with the RTA is easy.

Last edited:
my experience, they dont bother checking engine numbers or vins after an acco anyway...my postie was not the postie it was registered as....ie new engine, then new frame, etc... and it was a bad acco

im not to sure, but one engineer i spoke too quoted $1400 to certify it...fug that:p that may have been in regards homebuilt bikes though, im sure a basic engine swap is nothing much. cops never said anything about the homemade exhaust either...bit of bus seat pipe and a fire extinguisher:p(supposedly ANY mods require a certificate)

if its already registered... keep it regoed, and just swap the engine anyways. its only a hassle if you need a blue slip later on...

whats wrong with the lifan 125 in it? they can be worked remember

I've just had a lot of problems with it, clutch, tranny, stalling and after I had to rebuild it to fix 2nd gear. it ran for 5 mins and then stopped and won't run at all anymore.

I can't buy a new one b/c they've stopped doing parts, so I'm kind of out of options.

I'd like to find out if I can make it legal without spending too much to save me hassle later on. Didn't you have to take your postie in for a pink slip every year? Didn't they check the Engine number?

no, never checked numbers at the pinky time... just for the blue slip. cause thats an identity and roadworthy check... same as any other bike... and they do a revs check as well then. they MITE check the vin for a pinky... my postie was from 64 though.... and then, it all depends on the mechanic as well...

what you mean they dont make the parts for them anymore? theres a million of them engines out there...

id just ring an engineer and find out the cost of a certificate... then you know youre all ok:) then sell the junker engine to me:)

Just rang the RTA again and this time they told me to call a Blue Slip guy. Blue Slip guy said as long as the new engine is within 15% additional displacement and I have a receipt for it, then it's no problem. Sweet!

If anyone wants a busted MadAss engine, they're welcome to it for $100 plus postage.

Latest posts

Back