Valve Clearances

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegleg

Reaction score
Hey all you tech heads out there, I need a bit of info.
I watched that video on setting you valve clearances the other day and understand how to do it, I have feeler gauges so thats no problem.
The problem is they say to make it between 2 and 3 thou of an inch, What is that in metric? as my feelers are in metric only... is it 0.3 or 0.03
Any help would be good.

Cheers ppls..

Last edited:
Come on ppls, One of you must know, surely..

Sorry peg leg I dont know. But most of the kids on this site probably dont even know what a thou is (or an inch for that matter). I would suggest having a look for a metric manual (ie honda instructions) or get a new feeler guage. Or do some maths.

lol. I'm getting to old, and the grey matter in my head won't let me do maths anymore, so I will look for a manual somewhere. I just thought that MACK or mech_eng_matty might be of some help.
Thanks for the post anyways cass...

Damn man, i actually had to do some maths on this one!!!! HAHAHA

25.4mm/1inch = Zmm/0.001inch
(25.4mm/1inch) x 0.001inch = Zmm
Zmm = 0.0254mm

Zmm x 2 = 2 thou
0.254mm x 2 = 0.0508mm hence 2 thou

THEREFORE

2 thou = 0.0508mm (close enough to 0.05mm)

3 thou = 0.0762mm (close enough to 0.075mm)

Depending upon how accurate your feeler guages are and how fine they go, if you aimed for somewhere in the middle of 0.05 - 0.075 you'd be in the right area.

Good luck

Matty

Last edited:
Nice reply mech_eng_matty - this should help a lot of people here hopefully. This forum kicks ass :D

Zmm = 0.0254mm

Zmm x 2 = 2 thou

THEREFORE

Depending upon how accurate your feeler guages are and how fine they go, if you aimed for somewhere in the middle of 0.05 - 0.075 you'd be in the right area.

Good luck

Matty

thats exactly what i got for 3 thou, and it only took me 20 mins on a calculator lol. the grey matter is still working. but I didn't think I was even close.
I was in the middle of sending you a PM, thinking that you would be the man to ask when I noticed that you posted here.
My gauges should be spot on, as they go pretty fine.
Your a champion.
Cheers
--
Steve..

1/1000 = .001

so you want between .002 - .003

also for people who care, 1mm = 39thou

it was good that you had a go, but when anything comes from the yanks they always talk in inches and feet.(Bloody backwards ppl).
Cheers..

Zmm = 0.0254mm

Zmm x 2 = 2 thou

THEREFORE

Good luck

Matty

Make sure you go 3 thou on the exhaust valve. You gotta leave room for things to expand.

Yeah, I like to go 3 an' 4 thou on the China's ( thats .08 and .1 in mm's). Those Honda settings are pretty tight. Doesn't allow for a hot China with possibly lesser qual. valves to expand that frag further.

And don't worry bout the mushy grey matter...thats why I keep these links in my favourites list

LENGTH CONVERSION CALCULATOR
http://www.theconvertersite.com/

and for OS purchases...

Currency Calculator

Edit- Oh and with the clearances you are better off a little on the wide side than not. A little tappet noise never hurt anybody, (or any valves either) but too little and you will start valve trouble.

Last edited:
No worries Pegleg, glad my geekyness could come in handy for you!

Damn i hate imperial measurements, in all honesty, who wants to use imperial, it has no structure!! 12inches in a foot? Who wants to remember that, give me metric anyday!!!! 1's and 0's are the bomb! HHAHAHAHA

Cheers

yeah whats all this imperial talk, it's not the USA.. LOL

But yeah on average .05mm valve clearance maybe a little more for ya china

Thanks heaps everyone, I new there were some knowledgeable ppl on here.
Again, this is why this forum kicks arse.
Cheers
--
Steve...

Last edited:
are these valve setting suitable for a 140 lifan

Latest posts

Back